Chapter 12

Evie's P.O.V.

Despite growing up in a harsh environment, I never truly understand why many people lean into drug or alcohol addictions when their lives gets tough. Some say that those people are not really addicted to the item itself, but rather to the sensation it can give them. A short live pleasure that they can use to escape reality, even if it is just for a moment. It gives them a short time to escape to a different world, a temporary comfort.

I don't really get it until today. Because it seems to be the only way to define what's happening to me right now. An addiction. A quest to seek temporary pleasure and comfort to forget the dreadful reality that I am in.

Tears start to peak on the side of my eyes but I take a sharp inhale to stop those tears from falling down to my cheeks. I consider myself a strong woman. I didn't even cry when we lost our mother at the early age of five, so why cry now? It's not as if this is the first time we are doing this.

I bite my inner lip upon feeling my back land on the soft silk sheets of the bed with my mate on top of me. His hand and lips freely explore my body with wild abandon. His hands feel rough against my skin, and his kisses are more punishing than to give pleasure.

Yet, despite it, I feel my traitorous body reacting to his every touch. The heat in my stomach makes me feel feverish and in-daze. I know that what's happening is wrong, that this is against my will. Mate or not, this is still wrong, but my body reaction says different.

"You are so beautiful..." My mate whispered near my ear as he placed a soft kiss and nipped the side of my neck.

That simple act makes my whole body feels as if it is in flame. The animal inside of me lets out a purr at our mate's unconscious display of dominance. Henry might be a human, but still an alpha of his own. He knows how to play the game without letting himself get drown in it. He knows how to take control of the situation.

The fact that he can go face to face with the Creed makes me hot all over. Something that I can't decide whether I'll admire of him or I'll get scared of him knowing that we are on two different boats at the moment.

His lips went up as he captured mine in another mind-blowing, thigh clenching kiss. The sound of the fabric leaving his body as he busied himself kissing me to oblivion barely registered to me. At that moment, the outside world didn't matter. I want him. I miss him. I don't even care anymore that he is doing this to collect the debt he claims that my father owed to him.

Napalunok ako kasabay ng pagkuyom ng kamao ko na nasa dibdib nito. A dreadful realisation dawns upon me as we dance to that sinful music that only the lovers of the moon can hear. Either that I am in love with him, or this is the bond's doing. Not that it matters whatever the reason is behind my unwarranted actions. Literally and figuratively speaking, I am fuck. And there's nothing I can do about it.

It's like when the storm starts to engulfs you. You can either weep as the heavy rain starts to pour on you, or you dance along with it, using the thunder as your music and the lightning as your disco ball. I'm choosing the latter option.

As the heat between us subsided, I found myself chasing for my breath as I slowly went down from my high. Henry places a gentle kiss on my shoulder before rolling off me. 

Ibinagsak niya ang katawan niya sa tabi ko.

Napatitig ako sa kulay kremang kisame na napapalamutian ng chandelier. Silence fills between us, and there's nothing that I can hear aside from our slow breathing. Now that everything between us seems clearer, a two-word question starts to play on repeat inside my head.

What now?

I'm right. What's happening between us is like an addiction. Now that the short live pleasure subsided, an empty void starts to fill my chest. It gives me two options. Either face the reality I am in to end the cycle or fall down to the same pattern and consume another dose of it.

The first one is a painful process, but it offers a lasting, or if I am lucky, a permanent solution. The second one is less painful because it involves numbing my heart in the process, but it is temporary. Any creature with a living soul tends to avoid pain. It is in our genetic, and our brain is wired to deflect pain. That's why it takes a wise mind and a brave heart to get out of the cycle.

Bumangon ako mula sa kama kipkip ang kumot at isa-isang dinampot ang damit ko na nagkalat sa sahig. I don't expect my mate to say something, or do anything to stop me, but can you blame my heart for wishing that he would?

Stupid, I know, but I think it's wise to just blame everything on the bond between us.

After fixing myself and make sure that there's no trace left on me of what happened inside this room, I take my leave without saying goodbye and make my way to the parking lot. I didn't even bother saying goodnight to Federico. If I do so, I know he will smell the reek of sex in me, and I am not in the mood to explain anything to him.

Arno was smoking while sitting on the top of the car when I arrived at the parking lot. His eyes turn to me with a questioning look on his face.

"Is there someone I need to kill for you tonight?" He asked as he jumped down from the roof of the car.

Umiling ako at saka humakbang patungo sa pinto ng sasakyan.

"No, just drive me away from here. I'm tired." Sagot ko saka pumasok sa loob ng sasakyan.

Arno gets into the driver seat and hands me a can of beer from a plastic bag he probably bought from a nearby convenience store. I accept the offer and drink it straight from the can, enjoying it burns my throat as I gulp the alcoholic drink with greed.

"Where to? Lydia's mansion? Or do you want to burn off some heat?" Tanong nito sa akin.

"To the mansion. There's some shit I need to clarify with her about my father." Humigpit ang pagkakahawak ko lata ng alak.

Henry better be sure that he has the right to claim whatever it is that he's claiming. If his actions are baseless, mate or not, he'll be the next apple on my target practice.