Eighteen

Lexi had brought Esmè home. She was now watching her until Leigh had woken up from the coma. She and Tom doted on the little girl knowing Leigh would have done the same for them.

Tom smiled as he saw Lexi sitting with Esmè. He looked at her. "You're a natural," he said as he kissed her head.

"I know. But it's so easy. She's a good baby. I just feel bad. Because Leigh is in a coma. And she's missing out on the first few weeks with her baby. Which are the important."

Tom took her hand. "No matter what, Leigh has the rest of her life to bond with Esmè. We both know that. And until then, we'll look after her," he said as he kissed her again.

Lexi grinned and nodded. "When did I get so lucky?"

"I don't know. Must have been good in a previous life," Tom said as he stood up and walked into the kitchen to make some coffee.

****

Max was sitting in the kitchen. He was looking at the photo of Esmè that Lexi had sent him. Kim walked in and smiled. "She should be here. With us Max," she said as she looked at him.

Max sighed. "She is better off with Lexi until Leigh wakes up."

Kim frowned as she looked at Max. "But she's your daughter. Don't you want in her life?" She asked.

Max rolled his eyes and sighed. "No. I don't. She is better off without me to mess it up for her. We both know that. I would only ruin her life," he said as he stood up and went to walk off. He turned back to Kim. "I don't to hear about that baby anymore."

Kim scoffed. "You've done nothing but talk about how much you'd love to see her growing up! And now you can't even fight for her against your sister?! Your sister is raising your baby Max."

Max turned back to Kim and glared. "Exactly. My baby. She is not yours. She will never be yours. And if you can't accept that, then just get out of my house."

Kim sighed. "I'm sorry. I just... I lost my Grace. And it hurts. So I don't want you going through the same."

"The difference with us Kim, Esmè is my daughter. Grace was never yours," he said.

****

Lexi got to the hospital with Esmè. She saw the nurse and smiled. "Is there anywhere she can go while I'm visiting? I don't think it's wise to have a preemie in the ICU," she said.

"I can take her."

Lexi turned to see Kim standing there. She shook her head. "No. That's okay. I'll take her back to Tom," she said.

Kim rolled her eyes. "Lexi. I can watch her. It's not that hard. It'll only be for half an hour."

"No. It's fine."

Lexi knew she was being harsh. But she wasn't going to let Kim near the baby. Knowing that she wanted her for herself. "I'll call Tom. He can come and pick her up." 

****

Lexi was waiting for Tom to come and pick up Esmè. She heard a rustling sound behind her. She turned and saw nothing there. But she felt her whole world going black...