Twenty three

Leigh knew how tense that things were ever since Max had told her how he thought he had killed Kim.

Leigh knew how she and Max were waiting for news for a police officer to turn up. But nothing had happened. And she couldn't help but worry about it.

Leigh walked into the kitchen where Max was. She looked to him and smiled. "Are you okay?" She asked.

Max smiled. "I guess. I am expecting to hear something. But I haven't. So I am thinking maybe she's not dead. I don't know what to think. I just don't want to think about her. And I don't want her to come between us anymore. So much has happened lately. And I just want for things to be okay," he said.

Leigh looked to him and smiled. "And it will. What we need to focus on is our little family. And us making it work. We have been through so much Max. And it's mainly her messing with your head. And coming between us. She's the reason your sister is in a coma. She's pregnant too. And it's not easy. All that matters is Charlie and that baby being okay. And us making it work," she said.

Max looked to her and smiled. He pulled her close and kissed her.

"You're right. If something happens to Charlie and that baby, I'll never forgive myself. It's all she's wanted. To be a mum," Max said

Leigh smiled. "It's not your fault. And it's Charlie. She's a fighter. She'll be fine," Leigh said.

****

Leigh got to the hospital. She smiled as she saw Tom "when is the last time that you slept?" Leigh asked.

"A few days ago."

"Go and have a few hours I'll sit with her."

"They're going to try and wake her up later. I want to be here for her when they do," Tom said.

Leigh nodded. "Okay. I get it. But you need to rest. Why don't you go and sleep for a few hours and I'll ring you if there's news. You need to look after yourself. And you know Charlie doesn't need this. You not looking after yourself. She would kick your ass when she wakes up," Leigh said as Max looked to her and smiled.

"A few hours. That's all," Tom said as she looked to him and nodded.

She sat at his seat next to Charlie. She looked to her best friend and smiled.

****

Leigh got back home as she saw Max with Esmè. "What is it?" She asked as she saw the look on his face.

"The police turned up. Apparently Kim is missing," he said.

Leigh looked to him and frowned. "That makes no sense."

"Hmm indeed. I'm thinking I didn't kill her like I thought. And she's out there plotting. Or someone moved the body. Whatever it is, I am not in the mood for the games," Max said as Leigh sat with him. Knowing she was worried over it all

Little did Leigh and Max know how all of this was far from over when it came to Kim.