Fourteen

Leigh looked up as Max walked into the staff room. She sighed and stood to leave but Max stopped her. "Let's not complicate things."

"Why are you acting like this? You can't just let me get on with it can you?" Leigh asked as she picked up her stuff.

Max sighed. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry isn't good enough anymore Max. It really isn't."

*****

Max knew he needed to make it up to Leigh. He didn't want to lose her. But he felt like no matter what he did, she wouldn't give him another chance. Especially after he had been ignoring her.

Max looked up as Lexi walked in. She sighed. "Have you spoke to Leigh? She's serious about leaving you know," she said.

"I know. I'm working on it. She can't leave while she's the mother of my daughter. I have equal rights to the baby."

Lexi rolled her eyes. "You think Leigh gives a crap about that? She's hurt and she's heartbroken. She was going against what her mum wanted and give you another chance," she told him.

Max sighed and looked at her. "I know. She told me. I'm an idiot. I broke her heart and she can't forgive me."

"Damn straight she can't forgive you. She found you having sex with someone else in the bed you slept together in. The bed you made your daughter in."

Max smirked. "I don't think she was made in the bed."

"Beside the point. Leigh can't take the damage. She was on the phone to me in tears last night. She told me that she wished she wasn't pregnant so she didn't have to love you," Lexi admitted to him.

Max frowned. He had no idea that Leigh felt like that. He felt bad for how he had been acting. He didn't want to hurt her at all.
*****

Leigh was sitting at the desk. Max came out and sat on it. "Lexi told me you wish you weren't pregnant," he said.

Leigh nodded. "Lexi is right. Hard as that is to admit it. I love our daughter. But I wish I wasn't pregnant because then I could stop loving you," she mumbled.

Max sighed. "The fact you still love me says that we can give this another go. We can make this work. For our little girl," he said.

Leigh shook her head. "I'm not putting my heart on the line. Not again. Everyone told me that you were bad news but I didn't listen to them. I gave you a chance. And they were right. You were bad news."

Max smirked despite the fact he had tears in his eyes. "Love conquers all," he said.

Leigh noticed the tears. She stood up and threw herself into his arms. She felt him wrap his arms around her. "I've never seen you with tears," she mumbled against his chest.

"I do have a heart you know."

Leigh smiled slightly. She looked at Max and kissed him. He kissed back. The kiss soon got heated. Leigh pulled away from him. Could she keep on fighting what she felt?