Six

Leigh walked into work and sighed. She had a scan that day and she wanted Max with her but she didn't know how to ask him. Lexi walked over to her and smiled. "How you feeling?"

"Rubbish. I've got a scan. Ideally I'd tell Max. But I can't. Kim will more than likely be with him and I really don't wanna see her," Leigh mumbled.

Lexi nodded. "I'll get Kim out the way and then you ask him?" She asked.

"Thanks Lex. Means a lot to me."

***
Max looked up as Lexi walked into the office. Kim smiled. "Sorry. We're having a moment here."

"I haven't come to see my idiot brother. I need a word about a year 11 pupil."

Kim left the office and Leigh walked in. Max smiled. "Hey. What can I do for you?" Max asked.

Leigh sighed. "I've got a scan today. To check on the baby. I don't really wanna go alone so I was wondering if you'd come with me? Considering it's your baby."

Max nodded. "You know I'll be there. What time?"

"2pm. Rachel has already said I can leave early and she knows you're the father," Leigh said as she left the office. She sat down at the desk and tried to hide the tears.

***
Leigh went to grab a file from Max's office. She saw a ring box on the desk and frowned. Deciding to be nosy, she opened it. Leigh smiled slightly.

Leigh picked up the ring and saw an inscription;

My Beautiful Leigh,
All love,
Max x

Leigh realised that the ring was for her. She quickly put it away and left the office. She sat at the desk again and sighed. Leigh didn't know what to do or think.

***
Max saw Leigh and smiled. "Are you ready?" He asked. He saw the tear stains on her face. "Leigh?"

Leigh wiped them away quickly. She stood up. "Yeah. Let's go. Don't wanna be late."

Max took hold of her hand and stopped her from walking off. "Why are you crying?"

"It doesn't matter," Leigh mumbled. She tried to walk off but Max stopped her. "Max. Please."

Max sighed. "I'm not letting you leave until you tell me what the problem is," he told her.

Leigh looked up at him. She felt her heart break. "I found the ring. I didn't mean to. I had to get a file and it was there."

Max sighed again. He didn't think she would find it. He took her hand. "That ring was for you. It is for you. You're the only Leigh i know. I planned to propose. But you caught me with her and that went out the window."

***
Max and Leigh were sitting in the hospital. Leigh was shaking as her name was called. Max stood up and held her hand. "Let's go and see our baby."

Leigh walked into the room with Max following her. Leigh smiled. "Hello again Leigh. Is this your baby daddy?" She asked.

"Yeah. This is Max."

Leigh climbed onto the bed and lifted her top. The midwife put the gel on her stomach and began the scan. It wasn't long before the sound of the baby's heartbeat filled the room. "And there's your baby."

Max and Leigh couldn't keep their eyes off the screen. Leigh felt a tear pour down her cheek. "Is that our Baby?" She asked.

"Yes. Now, it looks a little small. But it seems extremely healthy. We can't tell the sex just yet. But hopefully at the next one."

***
Max took Leigh back to her house. She looked at him. "My mum is out. Do you wanna come in for a bit?" She asked.

"Sure."

Max and Leigh went inside. Max closed the door and sighed. Leigh turned to him. "You saw your baby. How do you feel?" She asked.

"It was amazing. Knowing that I put that baby in there. It felt amazing."

Leigh smiled slightly. "Yeah tell me about it. I'm glad we can be civil about this. I'm also happy that you've found happiness with Kim. You deserve."

Max sighed and kissed Leigh's head. He knew she was trying to be civil but he wanted her. He didn't want Kim. "It will always be you who has my heart."

Leigh looked at him and shook her head. "You need to focus on Kim. She needs you."

***
When Max had gone, Leigh climbed into bed and tried to not cry. She hated how she had told Max to be happy with Kim. She knew she didn't want that. She wanted them to be a family.

Claire walked into the house. She heard her daughter crying and sighed. Claire walked upstairs and saw her. "Oh darling. Come on."

"I want him back mum. I want my Max back," she sobbed. She didn't think she would break this easily but knowing Max was happy, it broke her.

***
The next morning, Leigh walked into work. She saw Kim with Max and smiled. Max was happy and that was all she wanted. His happiness and her baby to be healthy.

Leigh walked into the office. Rachel smiled at her. "How are you feeling?" She asked.

"I'm okay. I'll be glad when the morning sickness has gone. But you know, onwards and upwards," Leigh said. She saw Max walking in with a smile on his face. "You're smiling. I like it."

Max laughed and nodded. He sat on the desk. "You mean the world to me. You and our baby. Nothing else will change that."

"You've got Kim. You need to think of her more than me. See whoever you want. But please don't let our baby down. I'm begging you."

"I wouldn't dream of it."

***
Lexi knew how much Leigh loved Max and she wanted her brother and best friend back together. She was going to make it happen somehow.

Kim walked in and smiled. "Morning all."

Lexi rolled her eyes. Kim smiled again. "I'm absolutely knackered. Me and Max were trying for a baby. He said he wants to start a family."

"Erm. He's got a baby on the way. With Leigh and he wants that baby. You're just a desperate hasbin," Lexi spat.

Kim rolled her eyes. "I think this is immature. Max and I are happy. Please respect that."

***
Leigh walked into the office and smiled at Max. "I forgot to give you something yesterday before you left," she said. She handed him a baby scan. "I've got a copy so I thought you might want one."

"Thanks."

Leigh smiled and left the office. How did she avoid falling for Max? But she had no idea that he was going to break her heart all over again.