Chapter 12

Expectations

Jungkook

Sometimes, I just wish I was born into a different family. With loving and supportive parents. Ones that don't pressure you into being better. Ones who don't compare you to other people. Ones who still have faith in you whenever certain things don't produce good results.

"What have you been doing? Didn't I tell you to study hard for your exams?" My mother's stern voice thundered in the dining room, making my body flinch a bit.

Today is one of those few, unexpected times she chose to go home. Seeing her in the house is a rare occurrence. She practically lives in the hospital, only coming back home during the holidays—she sometimes doesn't even have the time to do so. It didn't surprise me when she said that she'll come back to Seoul tomorrow morning. Of course, her job is more important.

Back then, I really hated her for choosing her job over me. For choosing her patients over her own child. But then I realized that people were counting on her. Many people were entrusting their lives to her. Now, I just can't understand why she doesn't make an effort to be a better mother.

"I'm sorry.." I muttered in a quiet voice, my eyes trained on my food.

"How could you not get a perfect score? I can't believe you." She said, disappointment lacing her voice. My father, who was seated at the head of the table, remained quiet but I felt his gaze on me.

Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw my brother's figure entering the dining room.

"You're home! Come sit and eat. You must be exhausted." Mom said as she pulled the empty chair next to her. My brother wordlessly obliged, looking over to my direction. I looked away but I couldn't help but roll my eyes when I felt his gaze lingered as my mother continued to berate me.

Apparently, four mistakes is unacceptable.

"Why can't you study hard and get high scores just like your brother, huh?"

I clenched my jaw but remained completely silent. I never liked arguing with her because it feels like I'm arguing with an overreacting stranger.

"Look at Wonwoo! He's an achiever since he was a kid and is now pursuing a career in medicine—"

"Stop it." My brother said gruffly, his voice tinged with irritation and exhaustion.

"I was just—"

"I said stop, okay? It's not like he failed all his tests." He snapped, which made Mom shut her mouth.

"I'm going to study." He excused himself and immediately left, not giving our parents a chance to respond.

-•-

I'm late again. But this time, really really late. It's already past lunchtime, but here I am making my way to the gymnasium where our physical education class will be held for today.

I stayed up late last night, online gaming with the guys from ten in the evening, waiting until the clock strikes midnight. I only had a few hours sleep since Dad waked me up early, forcing me to join him drive Mom back to Seoul when my presence was completely unnecessary.