Chapter 15

Mission Failed

Eunwoo

"What the hell?" I heard Seokmin shout in shock. When I saw the gate opening, I instantaneously threw the rose away to the side, chagrin and vexation slowly filling up my insides.

"Eunwoo?" Chaeyoung called, looking around in confusion. "What's going on?" Her gaze dropped to the balloons tied to the stones that lined the path toward me.

My eyes darted to the mascot when the person moved to take the bunny head off. I huffed in incredulity when I saw who was staring back at me with utter surprise painted on his face.

"Jungkook?" Seokmin uttered in shock.

"Guys? What's with the balloons?" Chaeyoung continued to ask as she walked down the path. I heard the door open behind me, and I watched as her eyes drift towards it.

"Mom! Why are there heart balloons in our lawn? It's May. Are we celebrating Valentines again?" She laughed.

I'm not sure if I should be grateful that she's dense or not.

When I locked eyes with Seokmin, an audible sigh slipped past his lips, a look of worry evident on his face. I clasped my hands around my nape, briefly shutting my eyes in frustration.

"Why are we all standing out here?" Yugyeom broke the deafening silence. "Yah, what's the matter?" He nudged Seokmin. When he remained silent, Yugyeom looked around until his eyes landed on the rose and then shifted to me.

"Shit," he said.

"Jungkook, care to explain why you're wearing that mascot?" Seokmin managed to ask.

"I.." He was still staring at me, still astounded with what happened.

"You know what? I'm doomed." Seokmin breathed out. "How are you the one wearing the mascot?"

"Kids, why don't you talk it out inside?"

Yugyeom was the first to walk towards the door. Chaeyoung walked up to me, slightly frowning.

"You okay?" She asked.

God, no. "Yes." I smiled tightly.

She nodded before turning to Jungkook. "Cute mascot but I won't wear one ever again." She tapped his shoulder before going inside.

"I have to go to the bathroom!"

"Boys.." Mother called the three of us. Seokmin's eyes darted to me and then to Jungkook before he walked closer to us.

"I'm sorry," He whispered at me. "Let's talk inside." He headed towards the door and said something to Chaeyoung's mother first before disappearing inside.

Jungkook and I shared a look before he wordlessly left me alone.

"What a really great plan." I mumbled to myself.

Mother watched me as I made my way towards the doorstep. She flashed me a tight-lipped smile, a sympathetic expression on her face.

"I'm sorry it had to turn out like this." She gently said. We stepped inside, silence filling the entire house.

Seokmin and Yugyeom were seated next to each other in the living room. Mother excused herself and headed straight into the kitchen. I was taking a seat on the single-seater sofa when Seokmin spoke.

"What happened? I thought Chaeyoung was in the mascot."

"She had to visit the toilet too many times because of overeating." Yugyeom explained.