11

"Sister go to her". It's the first thing Hannah says when she sees my tearful face on her screen. I shake my head. "This isn't doing it either. You shouldn't do this to yourself." I sigh deeply. "I said I wouldn't see her. I have to wait another two weeks and then I'll see how it goes at school. She probably isn't waiting for me either." Now it's Hannah's turn to shake her head. "Look at yourself. I've never seen you like this. Especially not like now. What makes today extra hard?". Why does she know me so well. Even through a screen she can see how I'm doing. "It's her birthday tomorrow." I hate that it does so much to me. Hannah gives me a small smile. "Then you should go. I'm sure she'll appreciate it. I don't know her, but your stories tell me enough." Josh joins me on the couch. "Auntie". he says cheerfully. "Hey big friend. What did I just hear from mommy, are you going to the library?". Hannah says it with the biggest smile and I look angrily at her. "Yes mommy? Is Kate there too?". I get warm inside because Josh immediately thinks of Kate by mention the library. "I don't know if Kate is there". My sister's smile gets bigger and bigger. I can tell she wouldn't be safe if she were here. "I hope so. Miss Kate." I melt inside when I hear him say that. "I know. Mommy too." "Well what are you waiting for". I take another look at Hannah with a sigh. "I hate you". I say with a small smile. "I love you too. Have fun at the library."

I did a tour of the library with Josh and he is now at the reading hour. That is opposite the coffee corner, where I look for a place. I do not see Kate. She probably won't be working then. I'm a bit disappointed, but there is also some relief. What if she really isn't waiting for me. “Hi ma'am. I am from the Lost and Found Department and believe I have found something that belongs to you.” It is said behind me and I am shocked. Judging by the voice, I immediately know it's Kate. So she's there and she calls me madam, which really pisses me off. Either she didn't recognize me or she isn't waiting for me. As soon as I turn around, that feeling is completely gone. “Hey Kate. You're at work and Josh were you not at the reading hour?”. There stands Kate with glinstening eyes and she has Josh on her arm. I didn't see Josh run away, but luckily he's with her. As soon as Kate puts him back on his feet, he immediately runs off. “I'm here almost every day and little monkey I suddenly had standing in front of me. What are you doing here? Haven't seen you here before. I had noticed that.” I can tell from everything that she likes me to be there. “I've been living near here for a week now. And was curious about the library.” “And do you like it? Have you find something nice at the library?”. I dream away in those beautiful green eyes of hers and can see where she wants to go with this conversation. I decide to go into it. “Yes, I like it and I have certainly found something nice. Josh enjoys reading hour when he's not distracted and I'm having a good time here." I give her a wink. "Good to hear and I told josh not to just walk away next time". I get even warmer inside when she says that. Does she have a downside somewhere? "Thank you. I didn't notice he wasn't there anymore." Unfortunately, Kate then has to continue working after I have placed my order.

I sit for a while and watch Kate at work. Whenever she has the chance, she looks my way. She's standing at the counter now, making eye contact for a while. It's time for me to go and walk over to her. Without thinking, I take her hand. “Kate I would like to pay”. Kate shakes her head with reddened cheeks. "Not necessary. Round of the the house. It was nice to see you here.” I can see she really means it. "Thank you. Definitely come more often. I like the staff.” My body does things that my mind doesn't want and give her a kiss on the cheek. “Sorry I shouldn't have. It was just a thank you and I'm glad to see you again." I say quickly. A little scared of her reaction. “It's okay Liesbeth. I don't mind and I'm glad you were here." I can see that she is genuinely happy that I was here and that does me good. "I am leaving now. Happy birthday tomorrow. Congratulations and enjoy your holiday.” Now I have to run away quickly. I can no longer resist the look in her eyes. I really don't want to let her know, but then I see some cookies. I grab one and put it slowly in my mouth while I look at Kate. I can tell from her smile that she understands me. Then I pick up Josh and go home.

I feel all right again. I'm glad my sister kinda forced me. I don't know if it was very smart. I'll find out later on that. For now it feels good and decides that I visit the library more often.