chapter nine

SOMETHING GAINED
––––
BROOKLYNN

The chilling breeze brushed past my face, flowing through my loose curls. The tall oak trees stood, casting a shadow across the paved path.

My converse scraped across the path while I walked through the campus, admiring the scenery. The ivy crawling up the sides of the red brick buildings. The wrought iron benches scattered around the quad.

USC's campus is gorgeous. I love just roaming around and admiring it. People watching is also something I often do between classes. You can find out a lot by people watching. Campus is quiet at the moment, a few stray students wandering about.

The breeze picked up, the temperature icy, and sent a shiver down my spine. Fall has just begun; leaves are falling off the trees and the weather is becoming colder. This time of year has always been my favourite.

My phone buzzes in my pocket. I stick my hand into my pocket and pull it out. A photo of my mother grinning spreads across my screen. Instantly, I answer and my mother's familiar voice enters my ear.

"Brooklynn! How've you been?" my mother's voice streams out of my phone. We haven't spoken in a while, not since before class started up again. It feels good to finally hear from her. "I feel like we haven't spoken in ages."

"I've been alright, how about you?" I know she hasn't been coping very well recently with everything going on. My father's disease is eating away at him. I'm sure that's no doubt difficult for her to watch the man she loves deteriorate and not be able to do anything.

"Getting by," she says absently. A loud honk of a car horn blares into my ear. "Sorry, just on my way to work. The car's in the shop so I'm forced to Uber there."

I can hear the disgust in her voice and I have to stifle a laugh. My mother has never been too keen on the idea of public transport. She prefers driving places herself. Not only does she feel more in control, but she also enjoys it. Contrary to her, I fucking hate driving, much like my father.

"How is Dad, by the way? Last I heard, he had just started his first round of chemo."

"Yup. Chemo's started. He is doing well, but he's always tired. The doctor said that might happen, though," she says, her tone void of any emotion.

My mood dampens. I knew that bringing up my dad would instantly change both our moods. But I worry. A lot. I couldn't not bring it up. Especially because of how far we are apart. I need to know he's fine.

"Anyway, how are classes? Any extra assignments?" my mother asks, directing the conversation toward me.

"It's school. Nothing new I guess." I shrug, despite knowing she can't see me. "Oh, I have this semester-long assignment in my humanities class."

"How's that coming along?"

"Slow. We are just getting to know the basics of the project. But I'm hoping in these next few study sessions we get more done," I tell her.

"That's good. Hope everything goes well. I have to go, I just arrived at work. Talk to you later," she says before the line silences.

I drop my hand, stuffing my phone into the back pocket of my jeans. Continuing my way across campus, I walk towards one of the lecture halls.

My biology professor scheduled a seminar for a couple of students to attend. I am dreading the upcoming torture I am about to endure. I don't think I can listen to my professor's cacophony of voice for over an hour.

• • •

I ball my hand into a fist and it creates a loud pounding on the oak door. Hopefully echoing throughout the rest of the house.