chapter twenty-eight

SOMETHING GAINED
––––
BROOKLYNN

Professor Ackerman's voice drones out through the lecture hall, reaching the ears of listening students. Not mine, though. It is my last class for the day and I can barely focus.

Thoughts are flooding my brain and being in such close proximity to Aidan right now doesn't help. Every breath I inhale is filled with his scent and the feeling of his hand resting on my inner thigh is a very big distraction.

Also, it is very hard not to notice the death glares I am getting from many of the girls in my class.

When Aidan entered the lecture hall today, much like usual, all attention was brought to him. His presence has that effect on people. And because of that, when he sat down next to me, all the glares of jealous girls were also directed towards us.

"I can't wait for this class to be over," Aidan whispers in my ear like he has been doing for the past hour. "To kiss your gorgeous face without all these people watching."

I sharply inhale, dropping my pen before turning towards him and smirking. "Why not do it with everyone watching? They have been glaring at me this whole lecture."

He smirks and shakes his head. "If I kiss you, I might not be able to stop," he whispers seductively. "You look really hot when you are focusing."

Again, I inhale sharply and try my best to play it off like his words had no effect on me. They did. They had a big effect on me. Especially judging by the heat that sparked in my core at the prospect of him kissing me and not being able to stop.

Professor Ackerman's voice continues to sound through the lecture hall, though I'm sure no one is really listening as the end of the lecture nears.

Aidan's hand travels further up my thigh, stopping and beginning to trace absent circles with his thumb. My hand shakes as I pick up my pen again and try my best to pick up on the information Professor Ackerman is saying.

Once more, Aidan's hand moves and I inhale a deep breath. I turn towards him and whisper in his ear, "If I were you, I would stop right now or else I might show all those girls behind me what they are missing out on."

Lightly, he scoffs and raises an eyebrow in challenge, facing away from me for what seems like the first time this whole lesson.

"... Alright, I can tell you are all bored out by now. Don't forget, your humanities assignment is due soon. With that, the class is dismissed," Ackerman announces and the lecture hall erupts in sounds of relief.

I begin to gather my belongings, packing them into the same tote bag I have had since freshman year. Students start to wander down the stairs towards the from of the rather large hall. I feel Aidan stand behind me and follow closely as we both walk down the steps.

The narrow corridor is filled with students who are hanging around or exiting the building.  The doors welcome an unwanted chilly breeze from outside as I push them open, sending a tidal wave of goosebumps over my body beneath my jeans and hoodie.

For some reason today, I felt less like a homeless person and opted for a nice pair of grey washed jeans. The downside of that, however, is they are ripped and my bare skin is begging for some sort of warmth.

"Are you still coming to Thanksgiving with me?" Aidan asks, catching up to me and resting a lazy hand on the small of my back. "Lilly said she is excited to see you."

"Well... if is alright with your family, then I would love to come and meet them," I say with a small smile.

A wide smile tugs at Aidan's lips, revealing his perfectly straight teeth. His smile is gorgeous--everything about him is--and something I have found myself wondering more is how the smallest actions can do such big things to me.