chapter thirty-one

SOMETHING GAINED
––––
BROOKLYNN

The soft glow of the moon reflected in Aidan's eyes as he drove along the quiet street. He seemed to have calmed down since storming out of his parent's home. It took him a minute to start the car upon entering, but composed himself and began the trek home.

I rested my head against the cold window, staring at Aidan's side profile. His focus stays glued to the road. Dull street lamps shine down on the asphalt, the puddles from the rain glistening in the dips of the concrete.

When we arrive at Aidan's house, I barely even notice the car stop. And I'm sure Aidan is questioning a lot by the amount of time I spent staring at him during that car ride.

"I thought you were dropping me home?" We had planned that he would drop me home and we go our separate ways.

He shrugs, bending down and grabbing something near his feet. "Yeah, but that was before the entire night went to shit. And right now all I want to do is lay in bed and cuddle with you."

That is not a terrible idea.

I open the passenger side door and raced to the front door, attempting to escape from the frigid air. But Aidan had other plans and chose to walk at a snail's pace towards the door.

"Hurry up!" I call out. "I'm cold."

He laughs but does not quicken his pace. He digs through his pockets, pulling out a set of keys and finally running towards me. Aidan jiggles the key back and forth in the door for a few moments before the door finally opens and I walk inside immediately, into the warmth.

I have always enjoyed the thought of winter. But once winter finally approaches, I wonder why I even had that thought, to begin with. And same goes for summer. It's like I can never be happy with whatever the weather is.

The trip up the stairs remains wordless as does the walk down the hallway into Aidan's bedroom. Once we are both inside the walls of his bedroom, I decide to break the silence. "Are you okay?"

Aidan gazes at me thoughtfully for a moment. Slowly, he nods. "Yeah. I'm just exhausted and tired of my mother trying to control my life."

I don't know how to answer, so I just nod.

Aidan hadn't mentioned to me anything about how his mother wished for his future. It is not my place to say anything or have an opinion, but I feel for Aidan. My parents have never chosen to dictate my future; they have supported every decision I have made. But I can't imagine how Aidan must feel.

"I'm proud of you," I tell him, meaning every single word. "Proud of how you handled things tonight and for speaking up for yourself."

Aidan slowly approaches me, brushing the ghost of a kiss onto my lips. I snake my arms around his waist, resting the side of my head on his chest and taking a deep breath of his addicting scent. My eyes flutter shut and Aidan raises his hand, entangling them in my hair and combing his fingers through it.

"Can I wear one of your hoodies to bed?" I say, looking up at him through my eyelashes with a cheeky smile.

He chuckles and releases me, walking over to his dresser and pulling out one of his hoodies. Aidan throws the piece of clothing at me and I catch it. I wander into the bathroom, closing the door behind me and removing off my jeans, which had grown uncomfortable throughout the night.

Not long after, I shrug on the hoodie and wander out to find Aidan laying down on his bed, arms resting behind his head, muscles taut. He has seemed to change, opting for a pair of grey sweatpants and no shirt. Shirtless. I practically drool at the sight of him.