chapter seventeen

SOMETHING GAINED
––––
AIDAN

There are three things I acknowledge when I first wake up this morning: the awful sound of an alarm, a strange warmth all over my body and another person laid flush against me.

I remember little of what happened last night. All I really remember is watching that show Brooklynn suggested and going to bed. Oh, shit. Brooklynn.

Right now, I'm cuddling with Brooklynn.

An odd, unfamiliar feeling washes over me once I acknowledge that I'm actually cuddling with someone besides my teddy from my childhood. I don't know how to explain it, though.

Do I like it? Kinda.

Do I like that I like it? Not at all.

The alarm continues to deafen me as I force my eyes open. Just like I thought, I had wrapped my arms around a very sleepy Brooklynn, who is also sinking into reality.

That same feeling comes back stronger when I open my eyes and see her sleepy ones roaming around my room before widening once she sees me.

I find my phone buzzing on my bedside table. I must have forgotten that I don't have morning practice today. It's quarter to six in the morning. Also known as too early to be awake.

"Sorry," I mumble to Brooklynn, who has just seemed to realise where she is.

"Shit," she mutters, rubbing a lazy hand across her sleepy face. "Did I fall asleep here?"

I nod. "I think you fell asleep when we were watching the second episode."

"Sorry. I- I didn't mean to fall asleep."

"It's alright."

"What's the time?" she asks, her voice strained and groggy.

"5:45a.m. I forgot to delete the alarm for this morning. I was meant to have early practice."

She nods, sitting up in the bed. "God, this bra is uncomfortable," she murmurs to herself, probably not wanting me to hear it.

I sharply inhale and wander off into my ensuite. I brush my teeth and wash my face. I probably won't be getting any more sleep this morning, seeing as I have a class in a few hours and my roommates will be awake soon as well.

I enter my room again, finding Brooklynn scrolling through her phone.

I don't think she was very uncomfortable last night, considering every time I've seen her, she's in sweatpants and a hoodie. Well, except for that night at Miller's.

Her oversized hoodie practically consumes her tiny figure, and her sweatpants do the same.

"What are you doing?" Brooklynn asks when I rummage through the drawers of my dresser. God, her morning voice is fucking hot.

"Get up. We are going somewhere."

"Says who?" she argues.

"Says me."

"No, I'm not going anywhere. It's too early."

"That's fine. Looks like I'm going to have to drag you there then." I throw a hoodie over my head and walk towards her.

Once I reach her, I place my hands on her waist and start lifting her out of bed, throwing her over my shoulder. This challenge—that I thought would be easy, considering I'm double her size—was proven difficult when she started flailing her arms and legs in the air.

Still carrying her, I leave my bedroom and start walking down the staircase towards the front door.

"Fine, fine! Put me down. I'll go."