chapter twenty-six

SOMETHING GAINED
––––
BROOKLYNN

Aidan - set an alarm for 5 am. see you then.

The urge to roll my eyes at Aidan's text is strong. A wide grin spreads across my face as I continue to stare at his text like a fucking stalker.

Me - and why would i do that?

Within seconds, the texting bubble appears.

Aidan - because you get to see me

This time, I don't fight the urge to roll my eyes.

I abide by his instructions and swipe at my alarm app and set an alarm for 5 am. Truthfully, I don't know why I am actually listening to him, but I have an inkling of what he might want to do.

A rush of an unknown feeling is sent flying through my body. I haven't seen Aidan since Saturday evening, but it feels like forever.

A good question—that I seem to ask myself—might be: Brooklynn, why are you going to wake up at 5 am on a Wednesday just to see Aidan? Well, universe, when you find the answer, can you let me know because I would love to know as well.

I tuck my phone away and leave the four walls of my room—which seemed to close in on me the more time I spent in there. Brinley isn't home, so it's just me and as I walk through my empty apartment, that becomes abundantly clear. The entire apartment is so quiet. In fact, it's almost as though I can hear my own thoughts echoing through every wall.

A loud thud sounds from the hallway and my face shoots to the door and drops in confusion. Warily, I tiptoe through my apartment, careful not to make too much noise. I've seen too many documentaries to know that if you hear a loud thud; you stay quiet.

A small glance through our little peephole shows that a rather large and familiar body lays outside, passed out on the concrete floor.

"Ben?" I ask in shock as I swing the door open.

Drunkenly, his eyes open into tiny slits. "Is Brinley home?" he slurs, his eyes closing and a loud snore echoes through the hallway.

I shake my head. Though, I'm not sure why when I know he can't exactly see me. "I thought she was with you."

Instead of answering, he snores once more. Before one neighbour sees him, I rush over to him and try my best to lift his body. After what feels like an hour, I decide to give up on my mission of trying to carry Ben into my apartment.

No ideas are running through my head as I try to think of a better solution. Maybe I should call Brinley? Yeah, probably should let her know her boyfriend passed out drunk in front of our door.

Ring after ring erupts from my phone. The one time Brinley decides not to answer is the time I need her most. I groan and rub an exasperated hand across my face. My gaze drops back to Ben, whose head is resting on his own shoulder. It puts me in pain just looking at the position he's sleeping in.

Someone—who I probably should've called first—pops into mind. I click on his name and the sound of the first few rings brings me déjà vu. Please pick up.

Just as it's about to go to voicemail, his deep voice enters my ear. "Brookie-Bear?"

"Oh, thank God. I need your help. Do you still remember where my apartment is?" I ask him, glancing back down at Ben.

"I'll be there soon."

• • •

Aidan was there soon. Much sooner than I expected, to be honest. He rushes into the hallway, green eyes locked on me as he moves. "What's hap—"