chapter eighteen

SOMETHING GAINED
––––
BROOKLYNN

Something about the rain has always brought me comfort. Maybe it's the peacefulness of the rain hitting the ground. Maybe it's the thought that not even the clouds can hold it together. Or maybe it's the fact—at times—I feel I can relate to it.

The rain pitter-patters against the window. I sit in my living room, in silence, next to Brinley, whilst I scroll through my phone aimlessly.

"Well... this afternoon is a bore," Brinley breathes out. I stifle a laugh. She's right, though. "Do you have any exciting new gossip?"

I shrug. "Not really. Oh, wait! Y'know that guy from the coffee shop a couple of weeks ago?" Brinley nods. "I met him for coffee today."

"And?" she asks impatiently.

"And," I drawl, "it wasn't the greatest."

"Really?" Brinley exclaims in surprise. "But he was so cute."

Her face drops into a frown while I scroll through my phone, avoiding her gaze. "Just because he's cute doesn't mean it guaranteed the date to be good."

"What happened that made it so bad?" I couldn't stop comparing him to Aidan. That's what happened.

I wish I was lying, but since this morning, when Aidan took me to Malibu, something shifted. I can't get him out of my head. And the whole time I was out with Gabriel, every little thing he did; I would compare to Aidan. It was like an immediate reaction. I couldn't help it.

I shrug. "Just didn't really have chemistry."

"Oh, that's too bad. Mind giving me his number?" Brinley looks at me expectantly.

"Brinley, babes... in case you forgot, you have a boyfriend," I remind her.

"Oh..." Her face drops a little. "That's right."

"Wait, you still have a boyfriend, right?"

The first time she nods: it's unconvincing. The second time, however, convinces me more.

"Game night?" I suggest.

Once again, a wide smile spreads across Brinley's face. "Ready to get your ass handed to you?"

• • •

She's right. I'm getting my ass handed to me. And even that would be a stretch. I couldn't even be considered being a part of the game, to be honest.

Look, Uno is a simple game. The only skill that's necessarily required is luck. But as luck would have it, it hates me today and rewarded Brinley instead. She's played at least five 4-plus cards on me already.

We are only halfway through the game.

"Ha!" Brinley bounces up from the floor. "Another 4-plus and Uno!" She waves her last card in my face.

I groan, picking up my cards defeatedly.

I don't think there is much chance of me winning this game.

Brinley slams down the last card in her hand and stands up and starts doing a celebratory dance. "Told you I would win!"

"Don't feel too good about yourself. The game is solely based on luck and you should know I'm not the luckiest person ever," I explain.

"Oh, shut up. Stop trying to justify why you lost and just accept it," she mocks.

I roll my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest.

Brinley calms down slightly and returns to her spot on the lounge. "So, what are you doing for Halloween? Got a costume?" She raises an eyebrow at me.