chapter twenty-one

SOMETHING GAINED
––––
AIDAN

A lot is riding on tonight. Not only is the game against one of the best college soccer teams in the USA. But there is also a scout from USL teams coming to watch me play, one of which being someone from New York City aka my dream team.

I'm given the usual silence I need before games, from my teammates. I have spent the past few days going over—during and after practice—Washington's video gameplays and studying each and every player's moves and tactics.

So, to say the least, I'm somewhat prepared.

Shuffling echoes through the locker room and I stand, finding myself mentally prepared enough. Coach Warner has just entered, motioning for everyone to gather around him for his typical spiel.

"Alright, boys." Coach's authoritative voice reverberates through the locker room, gaining everyone's attention. "Go out there and play your best. Win or lose; all that matters is how well you play. You have spent countless hours working on your skills and studying Washingtons' gameplays. I have no doubt you can beat them."

Everyone's gaze is glued to Coach as he speaks from the centre of the circle we have huddled together to create. Some nod along, acknowledging and preparing themselves to go out onto the field.

"I know you guys can do it. I've seen how hard everyone is working themselves in practice. Good luck," I encourage. "Let's go out there and smash Washington's asses."

I look up from my feet. I find Coach's proud smile directed at me and a sneaky smirk from Tyson just behind Coach's shoulder. I roll my eyes at him and begin to guide our team down the narrow corridor that leads knot the field.

It's a home game. Resulting in the stands being filled with many rowdy USC fans and also the stakes being set very high for us. Very few Washington fans are in the stands but they stand out in their purple amongst the tidal waves of red and yellow.

Washington's team has already assembled themselves into a line in the centre of the field. Our team follows suit. I stand at the front, besides the referee and across from Washington's captain. Their captain puffs out his chest, hardens his expression and glares at me once I approach.

I chose the side to play on first after the flip of a coin. Our teams disperse and get into position. I settle in the front, just beside a freshman and my teammate Noah.

Noah starts with a kickoff, setting the game into full swing. The crowd erupts into cheers the moment his foot makes contact with the ball, a wave of adrenaline rushing throughout my entire body at rapid speed.

I keep my eyes on the field when the ball is kicked to me. I start dribbling down the field, some players obstructing my path. A defender marks me and I instantly try my best to getaway.

Quickly, I do a pass back towards Tyson. I run towards the goalmouth, in hopes that one of my teammates will pass it to me and I might get a goal. A defender marks me and I try my best to get away from him.

Tyson is on his way to the goalmouth when an opposing midfielder sneaks up from beside him, stealing the ball away. Said midfielder runs towards the sidelines, Tyson following closely behind.

Fortunately, the ball is kicked out, leaving us with a throw-in. Floyd takes the throw-in, aiming it toward Tyson once again.

Tyson is one of our fastest players alongside me. He can somehow slip himself out of most situations, unscathed.

He runs down the left side of the field, a sophomore from our team just beside him. Tyson's eyes shoot up and scan the game. In the blink of an eye, the ball is flying through the sky towards the goalmouth.