chapter thirty-two

SOMETHING GAINED
––––
BROOKLYNN

"Do you remember the first time we met?" I ponder as Aidan fiddles with the key in the door.

Aidan tilts his head to the side, his movements halting. "In the hallway after humanities?"

I quickly shake my head back and forth, tucking my hands into the pockets of Aidan's hoodie, regaining some sort of warmth in my fingertips. "No, in the bar. We ran into each other. I'm sure you don't remember but I was just thinking about it."

His eyebrows draw down in thought before raising, his eyes widening. "I think I remember. You looked at me like you did not like me very much." He lets out a loose chuckle at the distant memory.

I wince as I remember my behaviour towards him.

After Aidan jiggles the keys a couple more times, the front door finally opens and I stroll in immediately, craving the sense of warmth from somewhere besides the frigid air.

Aidan enters the foyer, removing his denim jacket and hanging it up on a coat hanger. I continue through the small doorway, ahead of Aidan, into the living room to find something that I probably shouldn't have seen.

"Aidan! I think I left my phone in the car. Can you go get it?" I say in a rush.

I hear Aidan agree and his retreating footsteps.

Once I know Aidan is gone, my gaze flickers between Lilly and Tyson, who both have guilty looks on their faces and have put at least three feet of distance between them.

"Care to explain," I say, trying to sound stern and authoritative. I don't think it is going too well if you ask me though. I am sure I sound like I am about to burst into laughter.

Silence. Two. Three. Four seconds.

Finally, Tyson begins shaking his head rather quickly, sitting up straight like he has a pole stuck to his back. "I do not think there is much to explain."

That was probably the right answer. The only answer that would have somewhat sufficed was why they were eating each other's tonsils before I interrupted.

Continue to act like I am a parent scolding their child, I send a sharp glare in Tyson's direction, raising an eyebrow.

"Please don't tell Aidan," Lilly pleads, her voice shaky and eyes full of regret at the notion of having been caught. Anxiously, her teeth tug her lips into her mouth as she waits for me to answer.

I shift my attention to Lilly, who is very clearly nervous about this situation. "I won't. But if I were you, I would wipe that guilty look off your faces before Aidan comes back."

Speaking of the devil, Aidan walks into the living room, his eyes skimming over everyone before returning to mine. "I couldn't find it. Are you sure you left it in there?"

I know I didn't but for argument's sake, I pat over my body, feeling my phone and pulling it out. "Oh shit. Sorry."

Aidan laughs and I smile. "Lilly... do you want to join us at Miller's tonight?"

Lilly seems to have zoned out, zeroing in on something on the floor but after Aidan says her name, she looks up at him and shakes her head. "No, I have homework to do at home. I just came by to drop something off. I was just leaving."

Aidan nods, believing her story. "Oh okay. I will walk you out."

Aidan leaves once more, this time with Lilly, leaving me alone with Tyson. I storm over to him and lightly slap him on the side of his head.