Chapter 11

The whole fiasco was far over when my sleepy self came to wake. It was shocking to find myself waking up in the familiar room I recognized at first glance. Finding Filtiarn safe and sound lying on the ground, I could finally sigh in relief and braved myself to vacate the bedroom.

"Thank you once again for having us." I expressed my gratitude to the couple.

I wondered why, but I never thought madam Bria's husband turned out to be Mr. Anthony, the Esteemed elder of the high council who welcomed us when we arrived in Fysi.

'No wonder the first time I saw Sarah, she felt somehow familiar.' I thought.

The two received and took us to Mr. Anthony's study. There, they filled and explained what had happened and also where Filtiarn and I would stay. Sure enough, it ain't anywhere far...

"Now that we'll live under one roof, blood or not, you are family from now on, little Barbara. We will protect you as we will with our Sarah." Said Mr. Anthony. "I'm sure you'll have a lot of questions, but you can take your time. We just want you to know that you'll be safe here—and whenever you're ready...Mm...whenever you want to, Bria and I will be here for you."

"..." It took me by surprise, but I couldn't find it in my heart to refute such earnest gazes. "Thanks...Mr. Anthony, and madam Bria."

"And now that you're family, we can drop the unnecessary formalities. Just names will do us good, dear." Cut madam Bria.

"But..." I tried to refute but froze when the smile on her face widened, and the air around us stirred strangely. Thus, I gave up the notion. It was strange how a smile could give a totally different vibe in an instant.

'Is she really smiling?' My brows tilted upwards narrowly. Mr. Anthony, at the side, could only smile ruefully at my confused state.

"Then...," I sighed in submission. "Anthony? And Bria...?"

"That will do." And lights finally returned to her bright cheeks. "Now, let's have some breakfast."

"Bara!" Sarah said, pointing her tiny fingers at me excitedly.

I grasped her finger gently. 'This...it's warm.'

Filtiarn's soft fur brushed and soothed my thigh. 'It's warm, Fil.' I rubbed and scratched his neck.

Summarizing what Anthony had explained, the Yifas would take me in as their foster daughter, which made Bria look visibly jubilant even to the naked eyes. It was arranged so by the high council; moreover, it's not like we have somewhere else to go. So, like it or not, we would have to intrude on the family of three for who knew how long.

Anthony appeared refined and stood on the smart side; he reminded me of grandpa Levin—with less of the foul tongue and persistent scowl—so I felt at ease, somehow, albeit it was still a little awkward between us.

Meanwhile, both Bria and Sarah were beyond elated by our presence. Different in their approach, both mother and daughter found their way to express their delight, and we were thankful for that. They made us feel welcomed and did not treat us as a burden.

"We'll have a lot of things to do today, dear," Bria said as she stood up from the dining table, stacking the finished plates away. "After you finish your bath, we'll drop Sarah to the academy first, and then we'll be on our way."

I couldn't help but shoot a perplexed glance back and forth between the husband and wife.

'Huh?' I perked my eyes open. "Me?" pointing my own nose with the one good arm I had left.

"Of course, You'll need some things for your own and also for tomorrow, dear." Chuckled Bria.

"Tomorrow?" Bad feelings were creeping up slowly. "What about tomorrow?"