Chapter 13

A month had passed since Hilda's birthday party took place, and our lives in the Yifas began. Except for the mandatory girls' time twice a week, every day had been pretty peaceful, all things considered. 

Filtiarn and I would run in the morning, have breakfast, take Sarah to the pickup place with Bria, train, and spend time with Ouranos. Helping out Bria on the house now and then was a given, despite the lack of role I could provide.

Dinner was warm on Yifas, much unlike the rambunctious one where Ma used to nag Pa and where I was bombarded with endless mind-grating teases and pranks from Macie's end.

It was different, for sure. But truth be told, it was okay. I loved how different it was, yet familiar at the end.

"Are you sure you're gonna be alright, my dear? Children these days are so scary..." Ever since the day before, Bria had been asking the same question repeatedly. "I can always talk to Anthony. I'm sure the high council can delay it, provided we give a plausible excuse."

"I'm fine, Bria. I really am." Just to make sure that she believed it, I even twirled once in the loose dark-green robe. "I'm not so easily bullied. Besides, I could use the challenge once in a while."

"Find Hilda immediately if something is wrong, will you? Don't forget to eat breakfast, and make sure to chew your food thoroughly. Drink lots of water and don't stay up too late. Steer clear of boys, especially the ones with the flowery tongues—trust me, they don't hold your best interest at heart. Be safe, okay, darling? I'll write to you."

Bria began reciting her favorite commandments, which only got longer and longer by the day. She nagged a lot, but I listened and welcomed the notion with an open heart rather than finding it cumbersome. It was the moments that I missed dearly...

"I will, Bria," I reassured her. My hand soon found the soft tips of Filtiarn's untainted fur that breathed among the morning dew. "See you later, and tell Sarah I'm sorry. If we could, Filtiarn and I will try to find her in the academy."

Filtiarn, for better or worse, had grown taller—he, by then, had reached up to my belly even without enlarging himself by magic. 

We still train every day, and like how Macie promised it to be, Filtiarn prowess grew almost exponentially. Simply put, summoning Ferrisa for days should be doable if Filtiarn managed his energy well.

"You can't, my dear," Bria brushed the hair and neatly placed it past my ear. "She will be sad, but I will talk to her—furthermore, I can always coax her with something...kids her age are fast to like things and also quick to move past their grievance."

Whether Bria had really warmed up and felt comfortable around me, or she just didn't put much thought into her words, I almost laughed at her frank response.

'Now I know why Hilda liked her so much.' She, who was oblivious to my thoughts, was stroking my head lovingly. Reluctant to see me off, she didn't even try to mask the unfolding sadness.

"We can't meet her? Why? Do they forbid students of different grades to meet? Or—"

Before I could finish the sentence, the sound of the disgruntled coachman rang out from behind.

"Can we please go now? Been waiting here for like half an hour—Great Mother helps me. Watching teary drama came with the job, but please cut me some slack, will you? I've got a place to be and not an entire day to waste." A ring of smoke puffed out from the worn-out pipe in his mouth.

'Woah, someone's pissed. Although, Bria did tell him five more minutes for about four—I think, five times now?' Won't lie; even Filtiarn felt sorry for the old man.