Chapter 25

"This really is in the middle of who knows where." The once drifting calm had turned into something obscure and strange yet again.

In front of Filtiarn and I laid an open and wide marsh filled with strange plants I've yet seen in my whole life, not even in the many books that Grandpa Levin had shown me. Stranded with Filtiarn in a quaint environment such as that, I felt a sense of urgency and anxiety creeping nigh.

Before the phantom from my heart took the high ground, I took a step forward; my eyes landing on Filtiarn and Ouranos.

'Right. I'm not alone. You guys are still here with me.' I chased away the persistent clouds that weighed heavily on my heart.

"Gotta keep my mind straight." I exhaled deep to collect the burgeoning turmoil. "Let's think for a bit...Starting with something simple first."

'The goal Giselle clearly said was for us to survive. That means water and food come second after we're making sure there's no danger.' I weighed down my goal and option before calling out to both Filtiarn and Ouranos.

"First, we need to ensure our safety, and that is up to you, Fil—check the surroundings but don't get rough. Second, since we need food, we'll have to hunt later when you get back. Let's refrain from using magic for as long as we can. The third is a temporary shelter for us, and that will be on me...And the last one is water..." I stared at Ouranos, who was itching to take flight freely in the wild.

"Let's see, just like how Bria taught me," I muttered and then closed my eyes shut, Imagining and reaching out for the faint stream that connected both Ouranos and me.

'Ranos, can you feel me? I want you to fly around and look for the nearest river that connects to the marsh, Do not fly too far off or too high; there might be some large predator waiting in the sky. I don't want us to take that chance. And tell me if you found people.' Ouranos then leaped from my shoulder, leaving only a restless squall behind.

Far high beyond the thin clouds, where he had turned into a mere dot, a shrill rained down as if to answer my doubts.

Looking back, I've found that Filtiarn had wandered into the distance too. With Ferrisa beside him, sniffing and perking her ears up to catch any disturbances. It was after Ferrisa caught something on her nose did both of them sprinted off, leaving me behind.

'Now...Let's get out of here; traps and whatnot will come after that.' I drew a dagger and cut off a broken branch to make a decent stick, and then I drew closer to where lush grasses were growing, away from what I suspected to be the deeper part of the gloom bog.

I usually had Filtiarn to point us the safe way, but they got their own task, and I got mine. I couldn't always rely on them with every little thing. No, that would only make me lazy in the long run, and I couldn't afford that.

As I explored and traveled through the shallow marsh, I remembered what Lance had once said in passing as he trained us in the forest. Better to be looking like an idiot than to die like an idiot. And I exercised that saying true as I traversed the area.

They gave us students an artifact to protect us, but I still tread carefully. I believe an environment could also pose a danger to our life, just like any beasts out there—Lance taught us so. Thus, treading them with my senses fully alarmed was a given.

I checked for the depth with the stick before stepping forward and studied any movements down to the shifting of water; I checked them all and ensured it was safe before I went on. Due to that, what normally took ten minutes of a stroll, turned into a much longer one; and quite exhausting too.

"Let's keep it up." Reaffirmed my resolve, I made my way.

The farther and shallower the marsh was, the faster and more firmly my footsteps got. I poked the muddled water, observed, and walked till I found the edge of the marsh, in which a lengthened open field sprung out in welcome for me.