Chapter 13 - A Good Man Goes To War

A Good Man Goes To War, part 1 -

On a space station Amy Pond had a hand in each crib of her newborn twins. Melody Pond was holding on to her mother's finger tightly while Tabetha Pond seemed to be observing it intently.

"I wish I could tell you that you'll be loved, that you'll be safe and cared for and protected. But this isn't a time for lies. What you two are going to be, Melody, Tabetha, is very, very brave."

She picked them up, each into one arm, high up and holding them tightly as the lady with the eyepatch stepped forward, "Two minutes."

Amy glared at her, before taking a couple steps away with her daughters, "But not as brave as they'll have to be. Because there's someone coming. I don't know where he is or what he's doing, but trust me, he's on his way. There's a man who's never going to let us down, and not even an army can get in the way."

The eyepatch-lady stepped forward with her arms out.

"Leave them", Amy demanded before her demands turned to cries, "Just you leave them. Please leave them! Please, leave them!"

Upon their mother's panic and being ripped from her arms Melody and Tabetha started to cry as well. They were put into sorts of high-tech Moses baskets and Amy got to lean over them one more time to finish her story.

"He's the last of his kind. He looks young but he's lived for hundreds and hundreds of years. And wherever they take you, Tabetha and Melody, however scared you are, I promise you, you will never be alone", she kissed the top of Melody's head, "Because this man is your father", she kissed Tabetha's head, "He has a name, but the people of our world know him better as the Last Centurion."

---

Meanwhile, the Time Lords had broken Rory into a Cyberspaceship. The Cybermen aimed their guns at the Centurion-intruder. Rory was unfazed as he stepped through the door.

"I have a message and a question. A message from the Doctor and the Oracle and a question from me. Where is my wife?", no reply, "Oh, don't give me those blank looks. The Twelfth Cyber Legion monitors this entire quadrant. You hear everything. So you tell me what I need to know. You tell me now, and I'll be on my way."

"What is the Doctor and the Oracle's message?", the Cyberleader asked.

Instead of an answer in words the other Cyberships outside went up in explosions. Rory just stared at the Cybermen with an even harder glare.

"Would you like me to repeat the question?"

At the same time, the Doctor and the Oracle quietly collected people who owed either of them or both of them a debt. Then, finally, the Time Lords snuck their way onto the space station called Demons Run. The leader of the clerics, Colonel Manton, stood up on a stage, in front of his assembled troops and the headless monks.

"He is not the devil. She is not a god. They're not goblins, or phantoms or tricksters. The Doctor and the Oracle are living, breathing people, and as I look around this room I know one thing. We're sure as hell going to fix that."

The troops cheered as Amy watched from above in her white room where she'd given birth to her daughters merely a month ago.

"On this day, in this place, the Doctor and the Oracle will fall", Manton continued, earning a 'Hoo Rah!' From the troops, "The people who talk, the people who reason, the people who lie, will meet the perfect answer", another Hoo Rah.

He turned around to the monks.

"Some of you have wondered why have we have allied ourselves with the Headless Monks. Perhaps you should have wondered why we call them Headless. It's time you knew what these guys have sacrificed for faith. As you all know, it is a Level One Heresy, punishable by death, to lower the hood of a Headless Monk. But by the divine grant of the Papal Mainframe herself, on this one and only occasion, I can show you the truth. Because these guys never can be persuaded."