Chapter 4

* Jasper*

She had popcorn ready for me when I got back with Samson Ale. She called it yummy clear Canada juice. I didn't know why someone would juice Canada, but she didn't know it was called Samson Ale. She sat on the couch, having changed into cute little black shorts with lace around her thighs, and a little tank top with lace around the neckline. 

She was sat on her couch with a large green bowl filled with popcorn next to her, and a blanket with mermaids and jellyfish wrapped around her shoulders.

She looked at me when I came in, I didn't knock, and she smiled at me as she patted the seat next to her. "Sit!" She said with excitement in her tone. I left a space between us, "What do you want to watch?" I shrugged my shoulders and she flicked through an overwhelming selection of movies until she found one she liked.

It was about little people with big feet and little people with regular feet and big beards. There are tall elves with pointy ears, shorter elves with rotted skin, and humans whom everyone seems to hate. There were even wizards. And this movie had five accompanying movies with it. So after the first one— where they were looking at returning a ring I don't know to whom, maybe a jeweler— she flicked to the second one and refilled the pop corn.

"I love these movies," she said as she wrapped her arms around herself and shivered a little.

"Are you cold?" I asked narrowing my gaze.

She looked at me and smiled like everything was alright and nodded, "yeah, I guess."

I looked at her for a moment before moving the popcorn bowl to my other side and scooting closer. I wrapped my arm around her and she leaned into me and I felt warm inside. "Is this better?" I asked rather awkwardly as she repositioned herself so she laid her head on my chest. She simply hummed and nodded and I watched her eyes droop closed before springing back open with a yawn.

I'm not sure why I did it, but I ran a hand over her hair and drew soothing patterns on her back, and she nuzzled into me and in a minute she was asleep. When she slept, she looked peaceful. Completely relaxed, and her face was innocent and unbothered. She wrapped an arm around me and as her breathing became smooth and even I turned down the volume on the T.V. and laid my head back to look at the ceiling.

Her breathing was steady on my chest and she got little shivers every now and then. She shifted harshly then jolted awake with a gasp she started mumbling little pieces, like she was lucid. "I can't... dad... you can't make me... I want to live before..." Her eyes were searching for something, "I want to live with you but I can't do what you want me to." Her eyes were both blank and filled with something strange, they almost glowed. "No. Dad... No..." Her voice faded out as she blinked and rubbed her hands over her face.

"Are you alright?" I asked tentatively. She drew her hands from her face and looked at me, slightly confused.

"Jasper?" She asked and she reached out and poked my nose. When her finger met my skin she pulled it back quickly, "You're real?" She was muttering nonsense. She shook her head and laughed, running a hand through her hair. "Sorry... nightmare."

"About your Dad?"

Her eyes snapped to mine and she tilted her head, "Yes?"

"You're not sure?"

"Sometimes I am." She laughed changing the subject. "We should get back down to the restaurant. I'm sure they'll need help."

She paused the movie and stood from the couch, stretching her arms over her head. I stood with her and put a hand on her shoulder, catching her gaze, "Yeah," I smiled, "let's go."