Chapter 42

*Raph*

After God had left, Hunt laid his head on my legs and I scratched his ears as we looked at Scarlett, sitting in the milky water, catatonic.

"Scarlett." I prodded. She looked over at me, "What happened?" I asked. "I heard noises, but I couldn't get to you... then next time I heard something you were screaming and God was rushing in."

"I don't know what's real... Raph." She said softly.

"Then ask and I'll do my best to help you sort it out." I urged her.

She looked at me for a moment before speaking. "Did I eat dinner?" I shook my head, "Were there crosses on my skin?" I nodded. "Damn... I was hoping those were fake."

"What can I do to help you?" I asked.

She shrugged. "I don't want to be alone right now..." she said softly. "Stay with me?"

I nodded, "Always."

"Ok..." she smirked, "Will you go get me clothes?"

I nodded and rushed to her closet, picking out a warm black sweater that reached her thighs when she put it on, and matching cotton shorts. I helped her fasten the snaps around her wings and we went back into her room and she laid in bed. She sat up after a moment, looking at me before patting the space beside her.

I moved towards the bed cautiously. She lifted the blanket for me before getting up and walking to her closet, when she came back she had a small laptop with a hard yellow shell in her hands.

"Lust brought it for me..." she explained as she climbed back into the bed. She opened it, and opened Netflix and began playing a cartoon about teenagers who solve mysteries with their dog and wear ridiculous clothing. Then she set it before us and began scooting closer to me. She lifted my arm and placed herself snug in the side of my body.

I wrapped my arm securely around her shoulders, drawing circles on her arm as her head lulled to the side. "I should go see Jenkins tomorrow." She said softly.

"I don't think you should." I said, "You were so tired after. Maybe you should wait until the manifestations stop."

"I want answers Raph." She said with a yawn on her breath.

"Scarlett." I said softly, "Don't go back there tomorrow."

She looked up at me and scowled before settling in. In about an hour her breathing steadied and her muscles relaxed. And she was asleep. I shifted us gently, not daring to turn off the show for fear of waking her, I shifted the laptop beside me and laid with her. My own eyes grew heavy and I drifted into sleep shortly after she did.

When I awoke Scarlett was still asleep. She had turned away from me in the night, and she must have woken up at some point because the laptop was closed. I carefully got out of bed and left her room, shutting her door behind me.

Lust, Wrath, Jasper, and Gabriel were sitting at a table, having breakfast. They all stared at me as I left her room. I ran a hand through my hair and sat next to Jasper, grabbing a scone for myself.

Jasper elbowed me, "Long night?"

I glared at him, "Don't start with me."

"Is she alright?" Wrath asked. "What was it last night?"

"Crosses carved into her skin." I said, taking a sip of tea. "God said no training this morning for her. She's supposed to sleep it off."

"I know." Gabriel grumbled, "He informed me of that this morning." He took a bite of a scone. "When's she going back to the sick bay?" He asked.