Chapter 44

*Jasper*

I went to her room to get her ready for training the next morning, hoping that whatever she was on would have worn off by now. What could they have possibly done to her that would make her so... submissive? When I got to the apartment, no one was in the sitting room, no one was eating breakfast like normal. Wrath was still asleep in bed, he and Lust had gotten into the rum last night. Gabriel was passed out on a couch, with Hunt, and Lust was just coming out of his room with Raph.

"All I'm saying is that she was acting weird last night." Lust said. "And it's got to be that submission shit Gabriel was talking about."

"I get that," Raph said, "but what can we do about it?"

I chuckled at them, always arguing. I knocked on Wrath's door and entered without waiting for a response. He was sprawled on his bed, still dressed with one shoe on. I moved to him, rubbing a hand on his back and moving his golden hair. "Wrath," I whispered, "It's time to wake up."

He groaned and rolled over, pulling my arm to drag me to his chest. "I don't wanna wake up." He whined, holding me to his chest. I sat up and shifted to straddle him. He took my hips and held me, his eyes opening sleepily. "I want to stay here with you."

I pulled at his chest, pulling him to sit up under me. I wrapped my legs around his waist as I sat in his lap and wrapped my arms around his neck. "What's wrong, Wrath?"

He sighed, burying his face in my neck. "I can't protect her." He said softly. "I can't protect her here and it's my job to protect her. What am I supposed to do if I can't do that? Who am I without her?"

I brought his gaze to meet mine, "You're still Wrath without having to protect Scarlett." I said, "Maybe instead of Scarlett and her protector, Wrath, you'll be Scarlett and her friend, Wrath." I placed a soft kiss on his nose, "Doesn't that sound better?"

He laughed and nodded, "It does." He sighed, "But that doesn't change the fact that I don't know how to help her. I don't want to see her hurt."

"None of us do." I said, "I think right now all we can do is offer her support and love."

"Can we go see her?" He asked. When I looked into those gorgeous red eyes, I saw someone broken.

I nodded, and hugged him tighter, "I know it's scary for you to be back in Heaven, but you're not alone." I took a breath, "Let's go see Scarlett, ok?"

He nodded and smiled and stood with me. And we began to walk towards the door, and he stopped before I opened it. "Do you think she hates me?" Wrath asked.

I turned to him, "Wrath, she loves you so much. She could never hate you. Where would you get such a silly idea?"

"I'm not doing my job." He sighed, his shoulders slumping.

"She doesn't want you to be near her because of your job!" I shouted, "She wants you to be near her because you love her!"

"I love her more than anyone or anything. She's like my sister." Wrath defended.

"Then act like it." I said firmly, "She doesn't know if you're her friend or if you just work for her dad." He looked at me, his eyes widening. I took his cheek in my hand, "Wrath. Be done with your deal with Pride and simply treat her like a sister, not an assignment."

He nodded, "Alright." He sighed, "Let's go see how she's doing."

I pulled him from his room, last night was the first night we had spent apart since coming here. I can't say I liked it. I missed his warmth, his touch, the feel of his arms around me. Lust, Raph, and Gabriel were all eating breakfast now.