Chapter 11

*Scarlett*

I can say for certain,

I've rested atop the moon.

And I've seen the madness in men,

It ensues.

But I've seen the beauty of reflecting on a lake,

So Perhaps it's only partly crazed.

I hummed the words softly while I sat under a big oak tree in a park made of green and brown life. I read a book about elves and swords and gallantry. I sat and read and hummed and tried to forget my predicament. It was hard to do though because a black 7 appeared on my hand at the first minute past midnight. I knew what it meant. It was a message from Dad.

In seven days I would be expected to meet Raph as a fiancé, rather than a pain in the ass. And when I don't show up for my own life sentencing, Dad is going to be so mad. Dad is going to drag me back. He's going to get a fight, but I think he'll—

There was a rustling in the bushes across from me, and I looked up to find two red eyes staring back at me. Two red orbs cased in almond shaped eyes that widened with delight. There was a glimmer of teeth that shown through a smile that reached from ear to ear, breaking the smooth contour of golden skin. There were tufts of deep velvet violet hair falling over a cruel intrigued gaze.

A man stepped out of the shrubbery, he stood an inch taller than me and had a rounder frame than his brothers. He wore a deep purple shirt that clung to his frame and black slacks. He had, in his hand, a large silver spoon that was enchanted to find any source of food.

"Gluttony," I greeted with a false grin, "How are you?"

His mouth opened and sharp teeth were revealed as he said, "Hungry. It's time to come home. He misses you very much."

"I've told Envy and I'll tell you." I began as I turned my gaze back to my book, "If he wants me home, he can come get me himself."

"The king of Hell is not one to take orders, little bite."

"He should get used to it, Gluttony." I bit back. "I'm not a pawn in his games, I'm not going to be what he wants. I'm going to be who I am."

"You're playing a dangerous game." He growled.

"Playing games is what I do." I laughed, "You should go home."

"Come home with me."

"No."

"Come home with me." He repeated pulling the book out of my hand.

"I don't think I will." I responded quietly, pulling myself up and standing to meet his gaze. "May I have my book back?"

He licked his lips and pushed the book into my chest, shoving me back against the tree. "You're going to come with me, and I'm going to get my reward." He leaned in closer and whispered with a breathy tone, "I get all the souls I can eat, and any delicacy I desire."

"That's awfully greedy for gluttony." And without another breath I broke into action, grabbing his wrist and twisting it away from me. "I don't want to go home." I growled pushing back against him and watching him stumble away.

He found his footing and swung a large fist at me, it never landed on my skin. I caught it with my hand and twisted it, pulling his shoulder joint until I heard a satisfying crack and he cried out. He fell to the floor in a crumpled mess of pain and gasped as I knelt next him and brushed a tuft of hair from his face. "Oh poor stupid Gluttony, you're going to have to do better than that."