Chapter 43

*Scarlett*

"I like your clothing today, Little Demon." Michael said as we walked through a gate into a training camp, "It makes you look small, meek."

I looked up at him. I wanted to say Fuck You, but the only words I could find were, "Thank you Michael."

He held my hand as we walked, his thumb running circles on my skin that sent shivers down my spine. Not the good kind. "It's a beautiful day out." He commented.

Fuck you! I thought. "Indeed it is." I said instead. "Where are we?" I asked him, nearly tripping over a stone on the walk way. When we were in the hallway he'd scratched me on the base of my skull, and my balance had felt off since. And my head was foggy again. It cleared up a little when I woke up. But now it was back to confused.

"Careful there, Little Demon, we wouldn't want you getting hurt." He cooed as he lifted me up, wrapping my legs around his waist and my arms around his neck. "We're in the training camp that boy you freed came from." He said.

"Oh." I sighed, holding him tighter. Why was I holding him tighter? "What did you do to me?" I asked softly.

He rubbed my back while he whispered in my ear, "I only lulled you into blissful submission, my Little Demon." He said softly. "Life will be so much easier now that you'll listen to us."

I nodded, and though I wanted to scream, I smiled and hid my face in his neck.

"She looks so small." One of the guards, Gavin I believe, commented from behind me. I arched back, letting my head fall to see him. "Without the wings and the horns she looks small and defenseless."

"Hi Scarlett." Herb greeted, "I'm glad you could join us today." He pulled the reins of two horses. One tall and white with gorgeous silver eyes, and the other a deep black with eyes of yellow. I uncurled my legs from around Michael's waist and he dropped me to my feet. I walked over to the black horse, placing a hand on it's head. "This is Fang." Herb said, "God says he's to be yours."

I nodded and looked into Fang's eyes, "Hello." I whispered as I moved to his side. I put one foot in a stirrup and swung my other leg over. The saddle was comfy, and obviously meant for the larger angels of heaven. I could sit cross legged in it if I wanted to. Michael hopped onto the white horse beside me.

Crater, Gavin, and Herb all rode identical brown mares. They rode in a triangle formation behind Michael and me.

Beyond the gate, and the entryway, the camp was grey and sad. Hundreds of boys groomed to look identical stood in perfect lines. Their expressions were blank. Lifeless. This would have been Phillip. A dark tear slid down my face as I looked at them. Their identical grey uniforms and their wings held at attention. And when a man at the front of the lines called out, they moved into perfect forms, switching between battle stances with a cold fluidity I thought I'd only find in the deepest most uncaring parts of hell.

These were no longer souls, they were assassins, weapons trained to kill and not feel a thing. What the fuck.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" Michael asked.

I looked at him It's hideous! I wanted to scream. This is a devious display of conformity you monster! I wanted to shout it so loud that the whole world would hear it. But I couldn't, so instead I let another obsidian tear fall and nodded. I was like these boys. I had no choice right now.

"I knew you'd think it was gorgeous." He said with a smile that made me sick to my stomach.

I looked at him and narrowed my gaze, "N... no." I bit out. "It... it is not..." These words were hard to say, but once they were out he brought his horse to a stop and stared at me. "It's cruel..." They were coming easier. I let flames engulf my hair, to burn off the poison that was infecting me. "It's enslavement tied with a prey bow."