2: which of us dies at the end?

┏━━━━━━❂━━━━━━┓

𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐨𝐟 𝐮𝐬 𝐝𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐧𝐝?

her left behind joy for books

┗━━━━━━❂━━━━━━┛

˗ˏˋ 'ˎ˗

The sky was clear, a light shade of blue arching over the bright green grass. The scorching sun cast a beam of bright light to reflect from the calm waves of the Black Lake where a few students dared to dip a toe into the water despite it only being April. 

The wind brought a shiver to their spines but the sun warmed them as they laid across a neatly placed piece of checkered cloth. Their eyes were closed but their hands all over each other. 

No sexual touch was displayed to the public but sweet and intimate caresses and strokes - anything to keep touching each other. It was not a rare sight for them to be so near, so entangled in each other with a stack of books beside them - hers, of course - but it had been quite a while. Longer than either of them preferred. School kept them too busy.

"Do you think people's favourite characters reflect on their personality as a person in the real world?" 

His voice was deep but he spoke fast. People often had trouble keeping up with Harry but she didn't mind. There was a certain thrill behind it, being with someone so hurried and stressed. She cared for him more than people like to admit and she wanted him to be himself around her. The way she had known him for all those years already.

"Yes, I do. But not in the way you think, I reckon," Veela jutted her lip forward as she frowned, thinking of the best way to articulate her thoughts.

She often had trouble with that, speaking in a way people couldn't understand, or talking without explaining her thought process. It confused people though Harry found it to be endearing. He always had - even when they were little and she'd ramble on for hours about a newly bought book, or a new fact she learnt. Her voice calmed his speedy thoughts and Harry suspected her rambling organised her thoughts so he was more than happy to listen.

"How do you mean then?" Harry asked, looking down at the crown of her head that rested in the crook of his neck. Her blonde hair tickled his skin but he didn't dare to move it away, liking how they sat now. 

His back was against one of the trees on the Hogwarts grounds and Veela sat between his spread legs, her body tilted back to cover his with hers. Her cheek was pressed right below his collarbone but she shifted so she could talk with more ease. 

Her hand hung loosely around his waist as her fingertips pressed against his skin where his blouse had ridden up. It tickled in a way that could get him all hot and bothered if he had the intention, but right now, he wanted to hear what was going through his girlfriend's pretty head.

"Well, let me put it this way," Veela said, her pale eyebrows arched in an inquisitive frown, the way she always did when trying to explain one of her educated rants, "I like to read a lot about crime and about criminals and generally bad people. I enjoy learning their backstories, I enjoy learning what pushed them to do whatever they did, and I find them to be quite interesting people. Does that make me a criminal? No, obviously not."

Veela could feel his eyes on her, that look of both awe and interest adorning his face. 

"Bad people being the characters I enjoy reading about the most says nothing about what kind of person I am, but rather gives an interesting insight on a range of characteristics that every person has, like their scale on how easily they forgive, their patience, their empathy, their strong-mindedness," Veela looked up at Harry with a crooked smile, "their stubbornness."