3: grey flannel

┏━━━━━━❂━━━━━━┓

𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐲 𝐟𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐥

first spells and first kisses, all forgotten

┗━━━━━━❂━━━━━━┛

˗ˏˋ 'ˎ˗

Harry was afraid when he walked into the hospital wing the following day.

Madam Pomfrey had sent him a Patronus to tell him Veela was asking for him, which should make him more excited than he felt. His hands were trembling as he reached out to the doorknob of the hospital wing.

What could there possibly be that Veela would want to tell him?

The likelihood of Veela spontaneously remembering everything again seemed slim - especially when that would mean Veela would have jumped from her bed and sprinted across the castle to find him and fly him around his neck to kiss him again.

At least, that's how Harry imagined it would happen.

He hated to admit that he spent the last couple of days playing that particular scenario over and over again in his head to dull the pain of the harsh reality.

Harry felt pathetic.

But after losing his godfather just a year ago and now losing the person who took on the burden of being like a mentor to him and his girlfriend leaving him just out of reach, Harry thought he deserved to be pathetic for a while.

The fact that Veela was right there in front of him but yet so far away was killing him. Nightmares plagued him every moment he rested his head in which everywhere he would reach for her, she dissolved into smoke, and his hands could not carry her. It was frustrating to the point it brought him to tears that he couldn't seem to get her back. And adding to the sharp pain he felt with every inhale ... His life had never been this hopeless.

Harry's eyes immediately travelled across the hospital wing until he found Veela sitting against the headboard of her bed, her face down to look at something on her lap. When taking a closer look, Harry found it to be the book he had left for her on her nightstand the day before.

Slowly and softly, not wanting to scare her, Harry approached her bed. "Er - hey," He said, a nervous smile plastering on his face the moment she looked up at him.

With those blue eyes staring right at him, Harry felt a hint of familiarity and his heart dropped. He quickly dug his nails into his palm, keeping him grounded and reminding him that Veela did not remember him.

"Madam Pomfrey said you wanted to talk to me?" Harry asked, standing by the foot of her bed, not knowing what to do with himself. He used to be so at ease around her.

"Yes - yes, I did," Veela tried to gift him a smile but he could tell it to be difficult for her. "I wanted to know some things."

Not one thing she had ever said sounded more like Veela than that.

I wanted to know some things.

A bit of the weight pulling down his shoulders lifted. Veela was still Veela and Veela was inquisitive. Not even a Memory Charm could remove her will to understand.

With newly found tranquillity, Harry approached her and took a seat on the bed next to hers. "What about?"

"Well, I had this dream - or a memory, that's what Madam Pomfrey said when I explained it - and it made me realise I really don't know anything about myself. Like the things I enjoyed doing, my reaction to certain themes, what I do and don't like ..." Veela paused for a moment, lifting her eyes to look at him. "The people I was around."