8: cruelty won

┏━━━━━━❂━━━━━━┓

𝐜𝐫𝐮𝐞𝐥𝐭𝐲 𝐰𝐨𝐧

dumbledore's task and the memory of death

┗━━━━━━❂━━━━━━┛

˗ˏˋ 'ˎ˗

Despite her inability to remember the details Harry had told the adults that morning, Veela could not stop thinking about their words - about all the little pieces of information that were supposed to form a whole image that she should be able to understand.

But it was more difficult than that.

As they moved through the hot summer days, everyone who came by The Burrow was obliged to help around the house in preparations for the wedding that was to take place soon. Every house in the room was supposed to be cleaned and organised, the orchard, the lawn and the garden were to be thoroughly checked for vermin, and decorations for the marquee they were to put in the orchard were to be carefully chosen considering every little combination possible.

Mrs Weasley had everybody on her nerves as she ordered people around to make her son's wedding the most beautiful event they ever visited.

Even Veela didn't get away with it. Though she did not have to do as many chores as Harry, Ron, and Hermione were ordered to do to keep them from conspiring, she did get her fair share of small tasks that were actually much more fun than sitting around worrying about her lost memories.

Veela got to give some input on which colours suited which drapes and which flavour of mead suited the style of the wedding. Together, Fleur, Mrs Weasley, and Veela had decided on a purple and golden themed wedding and wasted no time in ordering all the necessities to make that dream come true.

Ginny was the only one in the house who wasn't around to do much work. Due to her recurring illness that tied her to her bed every few hours, she was drained of all energy to help with things. Occasionally, Ginny would come downstairs and help Veela and Fleur with the corsages, carefully coating the pale purple petals with a gleam of glittering gold.

The youngest Weasley barely spoke to Veela but when she did Veela had a lovely time. Ginny was immensely funny and laid-back and she helped Veela when she couldn't remember the names of some items - words that just slipped her mind after the incident - and Ginny had a great time telling Veela about all the gossip again.

But Veela could still sense that Ginny distanced herself from her. She couldn't find a reason for it, though.

When Veela wasn't helping with the wedding, she was practising her spells with Lupin whenever he stopped by. He taught her all sorts of spells he deemed necessary to know in a time of war and some spells that would just make her life a little easier. 

She learnt that wizards under the age of seventeen were not allowed to practice magic outside of school which was why - Veela realised - Harry and Ginny were the only ones around here who did most of their work with their bare hands. 

As Veela did her work in silence, pondering over her thoughts and enjoying the nice witch's voice singing from the radio, her train of thoughts landed on the conversation she overheard in the sitting room.

They had mentioned a quest Dumbledore had pushed onto Harry, Ron, and Hermione. That they weren't going to take Veela with them out of fear of endangering her. Veela racked her mind to try and coax some old memories to the surface but nothing came to her - still nothing about this Dumbledore, nothing about a quest, nothing about danger.