14: the handwriting of two souls apart

┏━━━━━━❂━━━━━━┓

𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐰𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐬 𝐚𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭

the black family

┗━━━━━━❂━━━━━━┛

˗ˏˋ 'ˎ˗

"Can't see anyone out there," Ron said when he inched the curtains of the drawing-room on the first floor of number 12 Grimmauld Place to the side, checking the square they had Apparated to. "And you'd think, if Harry still had the Trace on him, they'd have followed us here."

"Unless," Veela piped up, pacing through the room whilst rubbing her arms from the chills, "Harry is under the spell of the Imperius Curse and he's going to give himself and us up to Voldemort later."

Ron looked at her, expression flat. "You're incredibly morbid."

"I'm just saying we should consider every possibility," Veela shrugged. 

Harry once really appreciated Veela's real-ness in situations that could potentially get them into danger. Right now it was discouraging.

"With that theory, any of us could have been Imperio-ed, not just Harry," Ron defended his best friend once again. "How would we know you're not Imperio-ed?"

"You can't know," Veela stated like it was simple.

It wasn't that simple.

Ron was moments away from letting out a very obvious exasperated sigh when Harry suddenly cried out in pain. Within seconds, he was panting on his knees and both Ron and Hermione approached him. Ron had a hand on his back to balance him as Hermione stared at his face as if she was trying to see if he was conscious.

Veela didn't quite know what to do but looked at him in concern. 

"What did you see?" Ron immediately asked when he saw Harry open his eyes, face contorted in pain. "Did you see him at my place?"

Veela understood Ron's concern. It was a very possible scenario; Voldemort travelling to The Burrow, questioning everyone for information about Harry. It brought a shiver to Veela's spine.

"No, I just felt anger - he's really angry -" Harry panted swatting Hermione's hands away as he sat back. He was confused and exhausted after everything.

"Your scar again?" Hermione asked in a shrill voice. "But what's going on? I thought the connection had closed?"

"What connection?" Veela asked but she was ignored by the scare of the situation. 

"It did, for a while," Harry mumbled. "I've been thinking and I reckon it could be because Bellatrix got him Veela's memories. He doesn't need to - to get into my head now. But he lost control. I think it's opening again whenever he loses control, that's how it used to -"

"But then you've got to close your mind!" Hermione reminded him. "Harry, Dumbledore didn't want you to use that connection, he wanted you to shut it down, that's why you're supposed to use Occlumency! Otherwise, Voldemort can plant fake images in your mind, remember when that happened -?"

"Yeah, I do remember, thanks," Harry bit out. He wanted Hermione out of his business. She didn't understand. 

"I don't remember," Veela butted in carefully, her voice soft and puzzled. "What happened?"

Ron and Hermione looked at her and then at each other, unsure of what to tell her and how to tell her. 

Harry didn't meet her eyes. He remembered their conversation in the middle of the night about Sirius. He hadn't told her it was his fault that Sirius had been killed that night.