Chapter 11 - Changing Memories

Zayn’s POV

I stepped back, avoiding Liam’s oncoming fist as he threw another punch in my direction. As I stepped I felt my foot trip over something, no wait, not something, someone, Lissy! I stepped back, hoping I hadn’t hurt her, this was my fight with Liam, she didn’t have to be in the middle of it; although, it occurred to me that this fight was about her. I heard her cry out but it was cut short as her head hit the edge of the coffee table. I turned to her in time to watch helplessly as she fell further to the ground, a dazed expression in her eyes.

“Zayn!” Liam yelled, snapping my head back towards a right hook, catching me right in the left eye.

“Liam!” I pleaded, dropping my hands. I had never hit him the entire time he was fighting me, and I wasn’t going to start now. “Liam, she’s hurt!” I yelled, cringing and waiting the impact of his next punch, which never came. He dropped his fist mid-air, looking at me with an expression first of disbelief, then pain, and finally anger. Realizing I want in any danger anymore I knelt beside her, lifting her head and felt the warm liquid matted with her hair.

“Is that…” Liam began, looking at the red stain on the floor from where her head had been.

“Call an ambulance!” I yelled at him, looking down into Lissy’s once a bright blue, now fading grey eyes. “It’s going to be ok,” I hushed to her, knowing she probably couldn’t hear me. “It’s going to be OK.”

Lissy’s POV

Beep…

Beep, beep…

Beep, beep, beep, beep

Beep, beep, beep…

Beep, beep…

            I woke up, wondering where my alarm clock was and why it was making such an annoying noise. I opened my eyes just a crack then regretting it instantly as the bright lights stunned my eyes. Where was I? I slowly opened my eyes again, letting them become adjusted to the harsh light before looking around. I was surrounded by white curtains that only displayed the empty shadows of the room beyond them. I tried to move, to shut off the regularly beeping noise but couldn’t seem to lift my head. I tried, and tried, and got so frustrated I brought my arms up to try and lift it off the pillow. That was when I felt the bandages, and bald spot. What the hell had happened to me?

            “Oh good, you’re up.” A perky nurse with red hair and British accent said as she opened my curtains and I saw the murky hospital room around me. Pale line green walls with little white stencils in every corner.

            “What happened?” I asked groggily, feeling the bandages on my head once again.

            “You don’t remember? Well minor amnesia can be expected of an accident like yours.” She said with a smile on her face the entire time.

            “Was I in some sort of car crash?” I asked, digging for some clarity in all of this.

            “Oh no honey, you fell, and hit your head pretty badly on a table. You blacked out but your friends called a bus just in time. We were able to stop the bleeding just in time but you did need 82 stitches to seal up the wound.” She read off a chart then looked back at me as I felt the bald spot. “Your friend said you’d probably be mad about that, but it was either loose some hair or, well, die I guess. I think you’d chose the first option, am I right?” I nodded but the shaking made thousands of tiny pricks go off in my brain.