Chapter Thirteen

*** Anyanwu...

"You what?"

I turn to Elias, he seems horrified.

"You killed all those people?"

"Guardsmen. For the king."

"Alright. so they attacked you." He says hurriedly, glancing at the old reverend.

"No, I attack...attacked them." He stares at me. Why is he surprised?

"What are they saying?" I turn to Adinna.

"They're asking after the guardsmen I killed by ugwuaki village, the ones that accompanied the king." The two men stare at me.

"Why did you do it?" Elias finally murmurs when I had already begun to eat again. I look up at Adinna, she's frowning at me.

"They are asking me why I killed them." There is sad smile on her lips.

"Tell them." I swallow my food.

"Ma says...mother leave for food, small time since I am born, never come back. I start hunting after ten seasons...and find her head on stick in middle of field."

"Jesus-" the old man gasps, attracting my attention.

"I am so sorry." Elias breathes. I turn to him chuckling.

"No, I do hard work in hunting, fighting...Ike give me bow from white man, show me how to use...so I wait everyday in trees, wait for two...dry seasons and one rain. Then the king come to hunt in forest with men, many men. I kill from trees, let the king run. And like mother, I cut off heads and put on sticks in ground."

Everyone has gone silent. And it remains that way till we're done with supper. Elias may just now be realizing that the stories about me are well deserved.

I take the plates away to wash while Adinna lays mats outside, the old man having a one-sided conversation with her, thanking her for letting them stay.

Elias joins me by the side wall of the hut.

"Need help?" I shake my head, it is only six plates anyway. He crouches beside me. The molded plate cling against each other in the silence around us. "Just so you know...I completely agree with what you did." I glance up at him, he's smiling. I turn back to the plates but he remains with me till I'm done.

Drying my hands on my skirt, I whistle.

"How are you certain he'll hear you?" Before I could answer, I hear rustling and turn to see Agu trotting towards me.

"He is always close."

"Right." He gets to me, licking my outheld hand. We start towards the front of the hut.

"Tell them to bear with me that as we don't have much space, they will have to stay outside."

"She says to manage, no space inside."

"Of course," the old man says, "she has done more than enough as it is." I turn back to Adinna.

"He is grateful." Nodding, she goes into the hut.

"Goodnight." I stop, turning to Elias.

"Eh?"

"Goodnight, I'm wishing you a good...sleep."

"Hm." I walk in, Agu following me. Then he sits waiting for me to lay down. "Ma?"

"Yes?" I glance out at the men, talking in hushed tones as they sit. The young one is laughing, he's always laughing.