Chapter Twenty Seven

*** Anyanwu ...

When I get up, Agu does so as well to follow me out into the corridor. I take two steps towards my door and halt, turning around. The corridor is ten times longer with much more than the four doors I always see.

How is that possible? Did we lose a wall?

Rapid footsteps coming from somewhere down the longer corridor. The ground tilts as the ship sways and I watch the wall slide out from after the room next to the priest's. It goes halfway and stops, sliding back into its place as the ship sways back.

Transfixed, I listen to the steps rush down the rest of the way and into the corridor, from what seems to be stairs. A broad looking man, tall and wearing clothes like Elias starts down the hall away from me. His hair, a kind of red.

He suddenly pauses, head bowed over the metals in his hand. Then he turns and looks right at me, brows furrowed. He stares at me for what feels like an eternity before the ship sways violently and we both grab at the walls for support. Still, his eyes are fixed on me as that wall slides to the other side and I hear a click. As if broken free of a spell, I finally move, rushing to the door and into the room. I hear scratching and remind myself Agu was with me. I open the door, letting him come in, then I lean against the door listening.

"Wh-" I snatch at the voice before I even realize I'm gripping at Pragya's throat. I let go, watching her rub at her neck, still smiling.

"I'm sorry."

"It is fine," she whispers, moving to listen at the door. "Who are we listening for?"

"A man saw me in the corridor." She gasps.

"Did he chase you?"

"No, he just stood there...watching me."

"I'm sure it is fine, he probably just thought you were a maid. Probably was more shocked as to why you have the Duke's dog."

"Agu is not a dog." She frowns at me, moving away from the door.

"What is he then?" I shrug.

"Maybe a wolf and hyena together." She chuckles, looking at him.

"I did think he's the largest dog I've ever seen. Anyway, we shouldn't worry about the man." I nod. "I have tea, was difficult keeping it intact during the disturbance but I did it."

"Oh, good." She moves to the table, sitting down.

"Come, sit." I join her, Agu going under the bed.

"Thank you, for all of this, but you can't come back here again-not to see me." She rolls her eyes.

"Yes, deniability and all, I don't care, I've been stuck on this ship for months with the nearest person to my age being ten years older. I'll take my chances to finally have a friend for a while."

"Friend." I mutter. Her grin returns.

"Yes. So, how old are you? I'm twenty."

"Nineteen." I mutter, shaking out my napkin and laying it delicately over my laps like I'm taught. Pragya laughs at me, grabbing at the biscuits, shoving a whole piece into her mouth. She pours some tea into her cup and picking it up without any delicacy, she empties the cup and wipes her mouth with her sleeve. I'm smiling when she puts down her cup. I pick up a biscuit.

"So where in Africa are you from?"

"West, I believe?"

"I come from India, this ship stopped to carry passengers and my mother sold me to them. I have eight other siblings who hadn't eaten in days so I didn't mind too much." She shoves another biscuit into her mouth. "How did you find yourself with the Duke, were you sold too?" There's that word again?