Chapter Ten

*** Anyanwu...

"Where do you think he is?"

I look up from the arrows I'm sharpening, Adinna is stirring the pot over the fire.

"We told him not to come back till the white one leaves, remember?" She turns to frown at me, then ah's.

"I don't mean Ikenna, Elias." I sigh.

"He's fetching water."

"Still? Please, check on him, make sure he's alright." I look up at her, her eyes show actual worry. Sighing, I get up, dropping the stick but holding onto my knife. I head towards the fall. Birds are chirping noisily, the rushing water humming in the distance as I approach. Something else drifts to my ears, the echo of a twig snapping. I keep my steps steady as crushing leaves follow. The footsteps get louder, before the person is even close, heavy. It is a man, bigger than I am.

I press the back of the blade against the inside of my wrist, walking still. The steps grow louder, not physically no, but I can feel the thuds in the ground beneath my feet. Finally he comes close enough to grab my shoulder. I throw my head back into the person, then I turn, my arm swiftly moving against the frame, my blade cutting through skin before I realize it is the white one.

"Fuck...Christ!" I gasp, watching him grab at the arms he had held up to shield himself. There is a gash across his forearm.

"Amadi." He chuckles as he looks up at me, so sweaty his hair is damp, his top cloth is tied around his waist, eyes now watery. His lip is bloody.

"You don't like surprises, I gather."

"Why did you-" he shudders, blood tricking down his nose. I drop my knife, rushing after him as he begins to lower himself to the ground. I help him, letting him lean back onto a tree. I begin to untie my upper rapa.

"W-whoa what are you doing?!" He breathes, grabbing at my arm. I frown as I shake off his hand, grabbing his chin to force his head backwards.

"You are bleeding."

"Alright-alright...u-use my shirt." He struggles, raising his hips to untie said shirt and pull it off. The blood is so profuse, it had gone down to his hand, staining the cloth. The fabric is very thin.

"Too small." He groans, lowering his head to look at me.

"No...n-no, bunch it up, it will-" I click my tongue in annoyance, forcing his head back up to ease the bleeding from his nose, then I reach for the knot of my rapa under my arm, "Jesus." He breathes, averting his gaze as I unwrap myself, securing it tightly around his chest. Then I pick up his shirt and put it on. He stares up at the branches.

Leaning in, I check his nose. I think the bleeding has stopped.

"Finish." I mutter.

"Oh...oh o-okay, I noticed. But..." he seems unable to even look at me. Is he worried that I may still be naked?

"I am not...bare." after too long, he looks down at me and sighs. Relief. Why is he reacting this way? Every man I've ever seen and a lot of elderly women go bare-chested, even Adinna does. In fact, just three villages away, the maidens wear only waist beads. Or is it just my flesh that repulses him?

"Ah, y-you didn't button it up though."

"Button?"

"Yes, this..." He touches the shirt lightly, clearly avoiding contact with my skin. When he pulls his hand away, the two sides are tied together at one part. I stare at it. "You know what, why don't I...?" He does it a few more times till it is completely closed. I stand up, staring at the hard round things on the cloth.