Chapter Seven

*** Anyanwu ...

"What have you done?!"

I roll my eyes, dipping the bowl back into the pot to take out some more water. The cuts across my palm singes, shooting a searing pain up my arm as I try to hold the bowl firmly. Half the day is gone but the wound remains fresh, bleeding. I would've taken care of it but I couldn't leave the body till Adinna returned.

As I stand over him about to slap him across the face with water one more time, he moves. Sighing, I lower my hand and watch him raise his fingers to his dark hair, blood staining them.

"I defended myself. They attacked me while I was bathing."

"You're wrong." Adinna mutters dismissively, staring down at him.

"Then ask your spirits." I murmur. My hand is sore, blood still trickling down my wrist. I should not have tried to be fair. He begins to sit up.

"Your hand will get infected-" she says.

"I'll treat it later." just then, blue eyes find me. I drop the bowl of water and arm my bow as he gets up.

"What did you do to me?" he breathes. Putting my good hand out, I draw Adinna back, farther away from the man.

"Don't be so harsh on him." his eyes turn to her and I raise my arrow, bringing back his attention. My entire arm is trembling as the injured hand pulls at the arrow against the stringe.

"Did Igwe send you?" I manage around the pain. I could almost feel a droplet of blood or two drop from my wrist and onto the ground at my feet. The fair one's gaze shifts to the hand.

"You're hurt-"

"Answer!" I growl, drawing the arrow further.

"No...I wasn't sent by his highness." his highness, indeed.

"Why did you send for me?" I mutter.

"I-I um, I just...I s-suppose I wanted-"

"I hate it when you stammer-" I mutter through my teeth.

"Forgive me if I'm a bit startled by the sight of so much blood...not to mention an arrow aimed at my head." I watch him, breathless but hands raised as he glances between us.

"Mama! Anya!" I grit my teeth to stifle a groan. Ike. What is he doing here? I told that fool not to return. I curse under my breath,

"Ma, please get rid of him?" without a word, Adinna leaves for the front yard while I keep my gaze guarded on the white one.

"A-Anya?" he stammers, clearly having difficulty with the pronunciation. "Is that your name?" I lower the arrow and let go, letting it scrape along the side of his thigh. He grunts, grabbing at it. I rearm the bow.

"Why did you send for me?" I ask again. He's huffing now.

"I wanted...I-I wanted to see you." I frown, my gaze rolling over him. Why would he want to see me? Mostly the white people stay away from the forest after the stories they hear. I swallow.

"You have. Now leave." he looks up from his leg.

"W-what?"

"You have seen. Now leave, or I break your legs."

"I-I beg of you, I have been walking for hours-"

"Hours..." I search for the word, "time."

"Yes-yes, long time, I'm tired and don't even know the way back out. Please...show some kindness." Kindness?