Chapter Twenty Nine

*** Elias ...

With a gasp, Thea falls into the bed beside me, wrapping herself in the sheets. I raise myself onto my elbows, turning towards the door. Grinning, Adam comes into view.

"I knew it, you fucking bastard!" He hisses, laughing. "And that's the one I saw, enchanting, isn't she? Though I had no idea it was this good." I grit my teeth. Didn't I ask Thea to not let anyone see her?

"If you can excuse me, Adam?" He backs up slowly, clumsily knocking into the door before he grabs at it and shuts it. I turn to Thea, "Where were we?" She removes the pillow off her face to frown at me.

"Are you serious?"

"Very." She scoffs, "I'll be on top this time, that way I'll cover you in case-"

"In case of what?" She hisses, "In case it happens again?! Why should it happen again, Elias?" I nod as I sit up straight, sobering.

"I'm sorry, it'll never happen again, I'll speak to him."

"Thank you." She breathes, exasperatedly as she gets down to find her night dress. Not a single interaction is shared between us the rest of the night. Early the next morning, I get up, ease myself, clean up and get dressed. Going out I find Adam by the stairs. He was waiting for me.

"Your grace." He beams. I grunt, starting up the stairs with him behind me.

"This should be the last time you come to my room, is that understood?"

"Of course." We arrive at the deck, the air is finally getting cold. We're getting closer to home. He stands beside me. "Where does she work?"

"Excuse me?"

"I'm assuming she's a servant on this ship, where is her post?" I meet his gaze and hold it until he laughs nervously. "Alright, I'll cut to the chase." He comes closer, lowering his voice. "I'm hoping I could have her on the nights you have no use for her-" I'm not sure how it happened, but I do recall blind rage, and then Adam on his back, groaning and gripping at my arm, my hand wrapped around his neck tight, the other a raised bloodied fist. Crew men gather to separate us but seeing me they draw back. The captain arrives hurriedly.

"Your grace, enough. Please." I let go of him abruptly and he turns over coughing and grabbing his neck. I straighten.

"I apologize for the disturbance-"

"You are very kind, your grace but I'm certain the fault is his."

"Is it?!" He gets up staggering, "Is it, your grace? Should we tell him the whole story?!" His lips stretch, showing blood stained teeth. I glare back.

"What does he mean?" I turn to the captain.

"I'd like to speak in private."

"Of course, we can speak in my office." The crowd clears a path for us go through, going up to his office.

"He is hiding a maid." Adam blurts before the door is even closed. I ground my teeth as I sit.

"Hiding?" The captain turns to me as he sits.

"Yes, I have searched the entirety of this ship, for days, I can never find her. And that is because he keeps her in his room, hiding her. She doesn't work, she doesn't serve-"

"Quiet." The captain is still looking at me. "Is this true?" I stare back, "Your grace, you're welcome to anything and anyone on this ship but you can not be keeping them from their work for me." I remain quiet. "I'd like to see this servant."

"I'll fetch her-" Adam begins.

"Take one step towards that door and I will break your neck." I growl. Swallowing, he cowers back. I turn to the captain. "Ask one of your men to have the reverend bring her." He nods, getting up and going to the door. He calls one of his men and quietly tells them to call for the priest and the maid. Then he shuts the door and returns to his seat.