Chapter Twenty Three

*** Three Weeks Later ***

*** Elias ...

"Anya."

Her gaze fixed to the waterfall, she ignores me. She still hasn't said a word. I sit down on the grass next to her.

"You need to eat, you haven't all week." She hugs her knees tighter. At least she's not crying anymore. "Please." She finally meets my gaze, for the first time in three weeks, she looks at me directly. I'm beginning to smile when she kisses me, pushing me onto the ground. She straddles me, pulling up her rapa and tugging down my trousers.

I grit my teeth, keeping my gaze to the blue sky as she uses me. The sun is setting, the air warm, filled with her scent, the fall humming silently. It is easy enough for her, my body reacting the way she needs it to. I listen to her breathing change, getting faster and inpatient. My chest tightens, my body rocks slightly against hers.

Finally, she slows to a halt, sniffling, head bowed over my chest. Pushing her fingers into her hair, she raises her head. I look at her face, there are tears in her eyes. I'm reaching to touch her when she pulls away from me and gets up.

With a sharp whistle, she begins to walk away, her beast quickly joining her from the trees. Swallowing, I pull up my trousers and get up, following her back to the hut.

She goes straight to the back of the hut where I had roasted some meat, picking it up off the fire and begining to pick at it. I hear rustling and turn to see the priest walking towards the hut. He raises his hand, smiling broadly. I wait for him to get to me.

"So I went to the docks like you asked, there isn't a ship leaving for at least another month." I nod, I need more time with her anyway. "Except the ship leaving tonight." I meet his gaze.

"Peter, I can't-"

"I'm drowning in letters, Elias, you said you were going home earlier to surprise them, you didn't. When you were supposed to go home, you didn't. Everyone is worrying, my position as a priest is being threatened with accusations that I had you killed here." I shake my head, turning back to Thea across the field. She's looking at us now, feeding Agu some of her meat.

"Peter-"

"I'm boarding that ship tonight. And I'm taking you with me. Now I'm sorry about what happened to the poor girl, she definitely does not the deserve the life she has but you are my responsibility, I need to get you out of here and it has to be tonight. I spoke to the captain, we will be travelling with a party of researchers, a little one. I need you packed and ready in three hours. That means you have just enough time to say goodbye to...your wife." silence sits after he's done then I walk towards Anya. She turns away when she sees me coming. I sit down next to her.

"I'm leaving tonight." Her face turns further away from me, "Peter says it is not up for discussion...I'm making my family worry." I hear her sniffle, trying to hide the hand she raises to wipe her face. Then she nods.

"Go." She murmures, mouth full.

"Come with me, with us." She shakes her head, "Please, you are my family now, I need you with me." She chokes, bursting into tears. I wrap my arms around her, letting her cry into my shirt until she seems unable to continue. Then she leans away, wiping at her face.

"Are...are you sure-"

"Yes, the surest I've ever been about anything ever." I grab at her face, covering her in little kisses. "I promise you, I'll take very good care of you." I turn towards the priest. He looks instantly tired.

As she packs some things she can't leave without, Peter pulls me aside to gently berate me.

"Elias, my boy, it is nice that you ask her to come with us, there isn't anything for her here anyway...but what kind of life can you really give her? Her kind are slaves where we come from, is that the life you want to offer her?"