┊❛ [𝕓𝕠𝕟𝕦𝕤 𝟚: 𝗧𝗲𝘅𝘁 𝗺𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗮𝗴𝗲] ❜┊˚ ͙۪۪̥◌

- ', [𝟤𝟢𝟤𝟦] ꒱ ↷🖇

📍BROOKLYN, NYC

࿐ ࿔*:・゚

The only thing that was persistent in Bucky's life after he called it quits with Y/N, was the nightmares. They only got worse as she wasn't there to soothe him back to his normal state of mind.

Every night, he would wake up to same sequence of nightmares on the floor of his living room. Since Y/N wasn't there to hold him, he never really spent much time in the bedroom.

His own apartment haunted him. Some of Y/N's things were still there; The cup hadn't moved from it's place on the kitchen counter. The bedsheets still scattered the same way. And Bucky didn't dare face that particular side of the bed. He remembered the way she would hold him, muttering sweet nothings while the horrors of his nightmares spilled from his mouth

Now, feeling the warmth of the sun rays that fell into the room through the closed window, Bucky got off the floor off his living room, picking up the blanket and dropped it on the armchair. He walked towards the kitchen, mind drifting off to the conversation he had with Wanda a few weeks ago.

"You shouldn't have broken up with Y/N," Wanda sighed as the super soldier sat next to her on the bench of the park the two had agreed to meet.

"I don't wanna talk about it," Bucky stuffed his fists into the pocket of his coat.

"I figured," she nodded, "I go away for a few months and come back to find that you guys split up? I didn't expect that."

Bucky opened and closed his mouth foolishly, not finding anything to say. The air between them filled with thick silence.

"How's she doing?" he finally managed to ask.

"She could've been better," she answered, tucking a strand of hair back into her french braid, "I should be breaking your bones for breaking Y/N's heart but," she shrugged, "I feel like you're nightmares have gotten worse without her. That's bad enough already."

The ringtone of notification from his phone made him snap out of his mind and he pulled his flip phone out of the pocket of his sweatpants and opened it. A text message from Sam

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ⋅.} ────── ⊰

📍MANHATTAN, NYC

Y/N was sitting on the fire escape, legs dangling off the edge and hands rested on the railing in front of her.

"This is useless," Y/N dropped her hands at her sides, her phone in her right one, "Why did I even agree to this in the first place?"

Seated next to her was Aaron, rolling his eyes at her dramatics, "Come on," he grinned, "It's not that bad."

"See for yourself," Y/N tossed her phone to him, which he caught with ease.

He started to go through the several profiles, swiping left on all of them, until he came across one, "James Buchanan Barnes," he squinted his eyes at the screen, "That's a long name."

"Bucky?" she snapped her head to him with side eyes.

"Oh!" Aaron drawled in a teasing tone, making Y/N cover her face with her hands, in half shyness and half embarrassment and frustration. "So this is Bucky?"

"What? You've never seen him? Not even in the news?"

"I've heard about the Winter Soldier," He replied, "Not Mr. Bucky Barnes."

"Mr. Bucky," Y/N grinned, "Ha! Sounds hilarious."

"'Cause  they're two different people, ya know," Aaron continued,  "One who had his brain fried and the other is who's trying to unfry the very same brain."

Y/N couldn't help but chuckle at his words, "You're wise for your own age, you know?"

"Not many people say that, so thank you," Aaron smiled, swelling in pride that he had received a compliment from an Avenger.

"Are you into guys or girls? Or both?" 

"Honestly, I don't know," Y/N snickered, gesturing with a lazy lift and drop of her hands, "What about you?"

"I mean," Aaron paused, "It's too early to tell, isn't it?"

"It depends," she shrugged, "You can tell me though, I've got nothing better to do than to listen to a 10-year-old—"

"I'm 12," he corrected with raised eyebrows.

"Same thing," she flapped a hand limply in declination.

Y/N unlocked her phone in hand when she got the notification of a message from Sam:

Steve passed away this morning. Rhodey said you're welcome to attend the funeral. If you want to, that is.

"Hey," Aaron dipped his head to the side to catch her eye, noticing her cheerful expression fade away,  "Are you okay?"

Y/N looked up, feeling a lump bubble up in her her throat . She wanted to talk about all that and take it out of her system. But she couldn't find the right words, and so, she bottled the pain away for later.

"No, it's—it's," she took a deep breath, "It's fine. I'm fine."

"No, you're not," Aaron placed a hand on hers, making her turn to him, "And it's okay."

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ⋅.} ────── ⊰