Chapter nine

The lunchroom is okay enough. It upholds the usual promise of fresh produce when in reality it comes from the freezer or out of a can. It tastes good, though. All hail to salt and saturated fat.

I stab my egg yolk and watch the orange bleed with the white. The runny goo keeps my eyes on my plate, but my ears are focused on something else, or rather, someone.

I made sure to sit on the far end of the table, as far away from Ellie as possible. Her voice carries through the air. It's hard to ignore. Mainly because she's yapping weird stuff. Something about 'nasal cycle'. Apparently, only one nostril does most of the work at a time. As a result, I've been watching my breathing intently for five fucking minutes. It's freaking me out a little.

"Tex?" Joey elbows me. "Are you coming too?"

If only.

I stop the start of a filthy thought and shrug. "Where?"

He seems half-amused and half-annoyed. "Weren't you listening? We're going swimming at the local pool."

I glance at Ellie from the corner of my eye. "Who else is coming?"

Axel shrugs. "We all are, except Roy, William and Elijah. They're going to sit on folding chairs in the shade of the bus like old people."

I nod and pay no attention to Roy slapping Axel across the head. So, she's coming too. Seeing her in some tiny bikini will definitely interfere with my plan of focusing on the tour, but it's off-hours anyway. Yeah, I'm not passing up that opportunity.

A little too fast, I get to my feet. "Let's go then. It's fucking hot in here."

Santiago lifts one corner of his mouth. "Look who's excited to take a swim. I wonder why that is."

Fucker.

Ellie didn't notice the innuendo. She's too busy shoving a forkful of syrup-dripping waffles in her mouth. Maybe I should sneak a pamphlet about type-two diabetes in her bunk. That sugar addiction of hers is pure madness.

To save myself from humiliation, I dash outside and smoke a cigarette. Not long after, they all come out as well.

The pool is only a twenty minute walk away. I suppose, bringing my swim trunks along on tour wasn't a dumb idea, after all. Once we've paid for our tickets and pass the entry-gate, we walk to the changing rooms. Well, not all of us. Ellie apparently halted and says, "I'll be at the shop for a moment. See you guys later."

We stop as well. Joey gives her a meeting point. "All right. We'll be somewhere near the shade of that tree."

My feet dawdle when the rest of the guys continue their walk. Should I accompany her? That's probably weird. She can pick out her own swimwear. On the other hand, maybe I should suggest something that covers her from head to toe. For the sake of my sanity, of course.

Apparently, she doesn't want my company. "Okay, bye now."

With fast little steps, she walks toward the shop. I give her figure one last glance before following the rest. Since I've been sweating all morning, I rinse myself in the shower and change into my—surprise—black trunks.

The others are already spreading their towels on the grass when I join them. Axel grins like he isn't hungover at all. "Are you sure you can manage to keep it in your pants when she comes our way. She'll probably wear a bikini."

"So, what?" I shrug automatically. "She barely had any clothes on anyway."

"Really?" The tone of his voice suggests more vexing at my expense. "I hadn't noticed. Then again, I wasn't staring at her with my mouth open when she was doing some exercises."