Chapter seven

Ellie couldn't stay out of my way. How could she? We're in close quarters half the time. She talks to my friends, sits in their presence. It was a dumb promise and I didn't really like the distance I created during the ride.

The cold void in my chest was yearning for a little warmth. Her warmth. Would a few days of sun really be a bad thing? She doesn't need to know. In fact, she can't know. I don't wanna confuse her by making her think it's anything romantic.

Axel jabs me in the ribs. "Are you still with us?"

I blink away my thoughts. "Yeah, I was just thinking about the show."

He nods solemnly. "You did surprisingly well."

"The fuck's that supposed to mean?" I do a quick retrace of the last hour. It wasn't any different from our other performances. Vibes were good, we were all in tune. Crowd was excited as well. Pretty nice circle pit, a lot of beer flying around. All good.

"You know ... " Joey casually takes a swig, purposely creating a pause to annoy me. "Considering the fact that you were staring at the entrance the whole time, waiting for someone to make an appearance."

Oh, that.

I cross my arms. "Fuck off."

They laugh and I scowl. Same as most days. Except, this time it annoys me more than ever. Why are they always in such a goddamn chipper mood?

Okay, Joey lived a fairly untroubled life, but Axel didn't. The abuse he suffered under the hands of his own father should've turned him into colder bastard than I am. I mean—Christ!—his father made him watch him shoot their dog. If that guy wasn't dead already, I would've paid him a visit myself.

At least Axel had Joey. They've been friends since kindergarten and when Axel decided to get the hell away from his father, Joey followed without question. His parents even financially supported the two of them when they moved to L.A.

They had each other and I had no one. I was always hanging with the wrong crowd. Granted, to a lot of parents, I was the wrong friend.

Fuck it. I don't need anyone. I'm perfectly fine on my own. Letting people in will only result in disappointment.

"Anyway," he continues, "don't you want to know what she's been doing?"

Yes.

"Not really." I shrug seemingly careless. "She's probably hiding out in the bus."

"Nope, Roy put her to work. She's been manning the merch stand with Santiago."

The fuck is this feeling?

My gut flips upside down, some sorta anxious rage crashes through my chest. What are they doing? Is he charming her? Does she want him to flirt with her? I've never felt this kinda fucked-up.

Jesus! Is this jealousy?

I'm outta my chair before I know it. "I gotta go."

Axel and Joey's dumb laughter fades as I get closer to the door that leads to the hallway. Before I reach it, Santiago walks in. 

Alone.

I stop in front of him, right in his face. "Where is she?"

"Relax, bro. Who twisted your panties?" When my frown becomes threatening, he sighs and adds, "She's in the bathroom. She'll be here in a moment."

I nod once. "I'm just looking out for her. That's all."

"Me too." He grins in a way that makes me wanna punch him. "She has nothing to fear from me, I'm a gentle lover."