Chapter nineteen

Three nights in a row, I've been sleeping in her bunk. It's not like we brush teeth together after changing into our matching jammies and then crawl into bed.

No, I just happen to lie awake a lot. So, if I don't fall asleep within half an hour, I sneak into her bunk. Not that I get much sleep there either.

We can't fuck, of course. There's no way we could mask the squeaking and moaning. Though, I did finger her yesterday morning. Had to keep my hand wrapped around her mouth the whole time to muffle her moans. She fucking bit my palm and it was damn hot.

But that was just once. The rest of the time we just ... talk. Well, I enjoy her calm warmth while she yaps. Weird trivia, mostly. So far, I've learned that nearly 3% of all Antarctic ice is penguin piss, shrimp have their hearts in their heads and a group of flamingos is called a 'flamboyance'. Apparently, she watches National Geographic a lot.

I take her hand off my chest and gently slide her head from my shoulder to her pillow. It took ten times longer for my morning wood to go than it normally does and it only went because I focused on that gross piece of gum someone stuffed in a screw hole.

Quietly, I leave her bunk and head to my own to get some clean clothes. Unfortunately for me, Santiago witnesses my early escape. "I really don't understand how you two can sleep in that tiny bed together."

I keep my eyes on my bag, trying not to smile too much. "Who says we're sleeping."

He laughs and leans against my bunk. "You know, last night I woke from some noise. I figured you two were getting it on, so I grabbed my earplugs."

I do a quick brain-rack. No, we didn't do anything dirty. We kept our hands above the pants. Luckily, that's where her tits reside. "What's your point?"

"Nothing." He shrugs but sports an awful smirk. "I just thought it was funny that I didn't hear any nasty sounds. Instead, I heard someone giggle. Funnier so, that someone was you."

Shit.

"Fuck no—that wasn't me." I grab my toothbrush, dash to the bathroom and lie over my shoulder. "It was probably Joey, dreaming about puppies or some shit."

Yeah, it was me. I mean, I wouldn't call it a giggle. It was more of a high-pitched chuckle. Anyway, it wasn't my fault. Ellie had her nose in my ear and her lips on my neck. It fucking tickled.

I stare at myself in the mirror while brushing my teeth. I'm going crazy. Absolutely fucking crazy. This thing we're doing is getting too intense. I need to create some space, set us back to what we agreed.

Sex and nothing else.

Once dressed and sorta clean, I retreat to the loner seat up front. Roy usually sits here to work. The single chair provides some distance from the other seats, which is exactly what I need right now.

It's boring, though. Ellie apparently got out of bed too and is now yapping to Joey. I close my eyes and try to shut her out. It's not working. She imprisoned my mind.

My obsession appears next to me. "Why are you sitting all the way up here?"

Because you're turning me into wacko.

I shrug nonchalantly. "I'm not a morning person. I need a little peace and quiet before the day starts."

She pretend-locks her lips with her thump and index finger, speaking immediately after. "I brought you coffee. Black, right?"

"Yes, thanks." I take the plastic cup from her and place it in the cup holder. "How do you take your coffee?"

Why do I care to know that? I already know more than enough about her.