Chapter thirty-seven

I chuckle at my phone and then shove it back in my pocket. Stacy sent me a meme a couple hours ago. I kept my promise of reaching out, but I haven't felt comfortable discussing serious stuff, so we've been sending funny pictures back and forth.

Though, last week, she brought up our father. I've been ignoring her ever since to make her understand that I don't wanna talk about him.

Petty, I know.

Anyway, I sent her a dumb cat meme and she responded with an equally lame one. That must mean she gets it.

Lack of nicotine itches under my skin, so I light a cigarette and inhale deeply. It works immediately. Just when I exhale, Frank slumps down next to me on the couch. "You want some blow?"

I shake my head. "No, I had enough already."

He chuckles. "The Tex I know wouldn't pass up on the opportunity of getting shit-faced."

If he expects us to share a line of coke and sing in perfect fucking harmony, he's wrong. "I'm trying not to be that person anymore."

A moment of strange silence passes. "Is that why you disappeared all those months ago?"

His tone only carries a small amount of bitterness. We were pretty close before I cut ties ... without telling him. "Yeah, I needed to focus on the band and everything. It wasn't personal."

A slow nod is what he gives me. "I understand, but you could've told me. I wouldn't have offered you anything."

"It isn't you I don't trust."

Doesn't he understand that I'm the problem? I'm always the problem. I want drugs way too much. Although, now that I have a girl to take care of, it's easier to keep it to a minimum.

He frowns at the baggie in his hand and then puts it away without taking a key bump. "If you wanted to quit this scene, why bring her here?"

I shrug, hiding my shame. "She's determined to make up for lost time. I'll play along until she's done with it."

A snicker leaves his mouth. "That might take a while."

I follow his eyes. Ellie's wobbling on her heels, laughing loudly at something Charlotte said. She's drunk and little coked up. "Yeah, I never thought she would be into these kinda parties. She's having fun, though. You think it will be all right?"

Franks nods. "Sure. She's from a small town, right? Girls like that get a little crazy when set loose. You know, like cows that smell fresh air after being inside for months."

My scowl appears instantly. "You better not be calling my girl a cow."

"Fuck no." He laughs. "She's pretty. I'm just saying she'll be missing her mundane life soon enough."

I stay quiet and mull his words over. I'd like it if she grows tired of the drugs, but how do I fit in that equation? Will she grow tired of me too? Likely. At some point, she'll realize that having a boyfriend is not enough and I'm not husband-material. Not that I want to be, of course.

I take another drag to soothe my anxiety. It's too late, or rather, too early for this shit. Not before long, the morning sun will show its first glow. Today, she's mine. That's all I need.

Well, not only. That dress is making me little fucking mad. The tight fabric keeps riding up her thighs and she keeps pulling it down. It makes no sense to be this horny. We literally fucked only hours ago. Still, I'm aching for her again. Every time her fingers tug at the hem, my balls tighten. Just like she's doing now.

Yup, time to go.

"We're heading out," I say to Frank. His signature grin doesn't hide his tired eyes. He doesn't seem entirely okay, more like life is wearing him out. Maybe I can make it up to him? "If you ever need my help, you can ask. In case I never said that."