The Keys That Shine

Discomfort twisted my stomach, along with a wave of self-consciousness that had me picking up my pace around the tent

Discomfort twisted my stomach, along with a wave of self-consciousness that had me picking up my pace around the tent. Unsettled by all the anticipation, I kept folding the extra blankets on top of the inflatable mattress. Nerves gnawed at my insides. I applied all my emotions to the force of my toothbrush, earning a hint of blood from my gums.

How was I going to survive the night in the bed with Davina? It brought memories of my first date with Lana. The night before, I couldn't catch a single Z and I'm foreseeing the same result tonight. The nervous and giddy feeling in my stomach was nearly impossible to ignore as I waited for Davina.

Sleeping would be the best idea. I wouldn't fuck anything up between us, like our conversation by the campfire. It was never my attention to lecture Davina, but her fixation on normal was a lost cause. What made something normal? It depended on the individual, but the lines were so faint and easy to mush together.

Davina was anything but normal.

I'm anything but normal.

But it's what made us humans and we shouldn't be accusing ourselves because of it.

Soon I heard footsteps draw closer to the tent, and the zipper went down. Davina's angelic face ducked in. A rosy pink knotted headband rested on her head, bringing an innocent, tamed look from her. Even with spending months together, this was the first time her face was emptied of any make-up. The freckles on her nose were more potent; so fucking beautiful.

My heart took off at a fast, pounding gallop. Her matching dawn-tinted strawberry pajama set almost kept everything tamed. Until my mind wondered what undergarments she was wearing underneath or if she had nothing at all. My gaze traveled down her backside, stopping when they reached the outline of her ass. My body was engulfed with flames, and if I didn't sway away from my dirty thought, I was going to have another big problem.

"I'll take the floor," Davina said, wiping moisture on her skin.

My eyebrows bunched together. "Are you kidding? That's straight-up dirt and I'm not letting you. I'll take the floor if you're uncomfortable sharing a bed."

Davina narrowed her eyes and pouted, bringing my attention back to those gorgeous, lush lips. "Stop making it a bigger deal than it is, just take the bed."

I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Listen, over my dead body, am I going to let you sleep on the floor. You deserved to sleep comfortably, especially with the minor bump on your head."

My eyes lingered a little too long on her lips, and her cheeks flushed when she noticed my hungry gaze. A warm sensation flowed through my entire body as she smiled and sat on the edge of the bed.

"My head is just fine, but I'm too tired to argue about this," Davina said, grabbing two pillows and blankets to give to me.

I grasped the blanket from her grip. "Jesus, get rid of me faster, would yeah?"