Genuis Can Be Idiots Too

Information

Information.

It's a sacred matter. One single piece executed a story or fabricated another. Media circles migrated with any information they could get their hands on and threaded it into a believable lie for the public. The paparazzi were the piranha while I was bait thrown in to get chewed into bits. My only lifeline was my lawyer, but with my money being withheld, I didn't have the resources to do much.

Today, I gained incredibly important knowledge, but as always, it came with a dreadful side. My lawyer educated me that the paparazzi attained a reasonable price in order to abandon the case. However, to afford all three paparazzi's demands, I had to put my dream restaurant on the back burner until I raised enough money to revamp it.

But if I went to jail, who knew when I would be able to invest in a restaurant. It's like a flip of a coin. Any result wasn't perfect, but a margin better than the others. My lawyer said I had until the end of the week to pay them or they were going forward with the trial. If only I could ask Davina for advice.

I very much could ask.

But I didn't want to tarnish her relationship with Milo; he's one of the few adults who remained a guiding presence in her life. How am I supposed to take something else away from her? The only parental figure in her life.

Davina and I were supposed to select tiles, clothes, and patterns for the restaurant, but the motivation trickled down after hearing the news. What's the point of acquiring it if the building could be canceled project? I could ask Davina to borrow a bit of money. She wouldn't even hesitate to lend me some.

But I wanted to do a good deed in my life. I was already taking her roles, her jobs, her reputation; I couldn't take her money, too. If I had to choose between the two, then so be it. The universe had a peculiar way of working itself out, even if it seemed nonexistent.

Only the universe could know...

However, I'll pay devoted attention to any signals from the universe, minor or massive. Anything mattered. The smallest hair strand could be the final straw on the camel, the ultimate decision on which path was the correct one.

The doorbell rang when it swung open. "Bean sprout?"

Tingles spread through my body like a sugar rush. "D? I'm in the back."

In the back of the restaurant, there was an oval-shaped office overwhelmed with broken gadgets and random sheets of paper. My back ached as I shoved every piece into a garbage bag, but even with that, I couldn't see the floor.

A slither of a laugh sneaked past my lips as Davina popped in, almost falling on her ass. But with my spidey senses, I wrapped my arms around her back, keeping her from colliding with the floor.

"D, who told you to wear heels?" I asked.

Her enchanting smile shined through. "I didn't expect the restaurant to have cracks and dents in it. Why didn't you buy something that required less work?"