A Baby and Its Novak's?

Change

Change.

A certain thing people feared or sought for. Change wasn't something new to me. I had experienced so many variations in my life I think I beat the average person. But after years of looking at change as a hopeful thing... It suddenly twisted into a scary thought.

Pregnant.

The thought brought an uneasy feeling to coil in my stomach. For once I had a plan: to get my nursing degree, get a nursing job, work together with Declan than a baby. Everything seemed to be on track. I worked my butt off this semester to make up for my suffering grades. Declan wholeheartedly supported my path, and I felt more confident showing off my smarts.

But this child threw a wrench into our arrangements. Declan's well-off, but I don't want to mooch off his parent's money to support this baby. With our part-time jobs, we could barely meet the marks to purchase an apartment in the city. Yet, the irrational part of myself got excited at a mini Novak growing inside me.

Declan never half-hearted anything. If he was doing it, then he would go full force. Our baby would be extremely loved and appreciated by both of us. If he or she wanted to be good at school, then Declan would handle the region. If they preferred to take the easy route in their life, then I'll be there to support and love them.

"We are here," Declan announced, pulling my gaze from the vacant streets I've been staring at.

My stomach was in knots, bringing memories of the several times I'd been rushed to the hospital. It wasn't bad as those times; my mother's death, Declan's father's heart attack. Today it could be a positive outcome something a lot of people don't experience when arriving here.

The woman working the front desk was busy, the telephone rang but she was busy typing something on the computer in front of her. Desks lined up behind her but the one we stood at must've been for emergencies.

"Can we get a pregnancy test?" Declan asked, causing the pool of heat to form on my cheeks.

She looked up from the screen, without a smile or any sign of friendliness. "Alright. Please fill out this questionnaire." She handed a clipboard and pen over to Declan. "And I'll need a urine sample."

Declan wrapped his hand over the cup and handed it over to me. "Here. Go ahead." He tilted his head over to the bathroom.

I skeptically stared at the plain clear cup. This bathroom trip would alter our lives in ways we could never imagine. No matter the results, I've been affected by the baby flu. All of my fear washed away with an image of Declan and I holding our baby. Smiling and celebrating our little bundle of joy.

 Smiling and celebrating our little bundle of joy