Chapter 15 - [Keroshan]

The applause and cheering was nice. And so was the music. It made me feel a bit better about having to dance with Jasmine.

      I didn’t want to dance with her. But I had too. I knew I had to because it was a tradition. That’s just how it worked.

      I kept my eyes on Jasmine as I walked towards her. But I have to say that it took a lot of effort not to look away.

      Why shouldn’t I look away? Well, if I did, I would see Aathiray. And if I saw Aathiray, it would take even more effort to try and stop myself from turning around and asking her to dance instead.

      Me doing that would be bad. Not only would it start a commotion, but it would be an insult to the Queen. And no one in the right mind would ever blame me. They would blame Aathiray. Which would give them another reason to hate her.

      I let out a soft sigh as I stepped towards Jasmine and I held out my hand, like I did every year. She took it with a smile, like she did every year. I guided her to the center of the ballroom, like I did every year and then we started dancing.

      Just like we did every year.

      Three songs. We only had to dance to three songs together. The first one would be just the two of us. The second one would be us and then all the other important ministers of Raakshya. And the third would be with everyone else who wanted to join in.

      After that, I was free to dance with Aathy.

      It was actually longer than I had expected it to be. I was hoping it would be short, so that we could hurry up and get this over with.

      The only good thing about this was that she didn’t speak. It seemed to be the only time that we could be together without her saying anything.

      “Keroshan…” She whispered.

      Spoke to soon.

      “We need to sort things out.”

      I didn’t say anything.

      She looked me straight in the eye. “I’m serious.”

      “What do you want me to say?” I asked.

      She sighed. “I want you to agree that our relationship isn’t working out.”

      “I think it’s just fine, the way it is now.”

      “Liar. I know for a fact that deep down, you’re still in love with me.”

      “You’re in no position to say that, Jasmine. Seeing that you were the one who screwed everything between us up.”

      “I didn’t—”

      “Don’t start this with me again.”

      “Please Keroshan. Talk to me.”

      “I’m talking.”

      She rolled her eyes and I was actually quite proud of my smart talking. “Tell me the truth. Are you not upset that all of this happened?”

      I hesitated, but nodded. “I am.”

      She seemed happy with my response. “Then we can fix it.”

      “I don’t want to fix it.”

      “But you just said that you were upset.”

      “I’m upset with what had happened, yes. But I’m fine with its outcome.”

      “Outcome? What was the outcome?”