Chapter 18

The night seemed to go much slower than before, and now I was strangely over protective. I had no idea who was in on Serpethion’s plan and every time someone came to talk to him, I freaked out. I glared at the scary looking people and stood defensively in front of Kero.

Huh, I guess I thought I could actually stand a chance against a Raakshyan.

Kero knew something was up, and most of the time, he ended up chuckling at my stupidness.

But that didn't stop me. I had to be careful until I get Kero far away from Serpethion, far enough to tell him how his 'friend' really feels.

When the ball was finally over, we rode back home in the carriage. The ride home seemed much shorter, but that was a good thing.

Here was the original plan, the second we got home, I was going to tell Kero about what had happened. But then I thought about it... what if Serpethion was still listening?

He must be. This is a serious problem. If I told Kero what I knew, he would be screwed. And he knows that. That means he's going to be keeping an eye on me.

I sat on Kero's bed, cross legged. I was wearing my short shorts, which I would never wear in public and a tank top. It was really hot tonight. But then again, I usually get really sweaty when I'm nervous and thinking.

Taking off my dress and jewelry was almost as hard as putting it on. But I was actually happy to have it all off and be in nice, comfortable pajamas.

I sighed.

“Okay, what’s up?”

My head shot up and I saw Kero standing at the door.

And then I got confused and my head started to spin. What do I say? What do I say? Oh no. Oh no. Oh no.

“Aathiray... you've been acting really strange. Are you okay?” He walked towards me and sat in front of me on the bed.

I nodded, I couldn't trust my voice.

“Well, I don't believe you.” He put his cool hand on my extremely warm knee. “Did someone say something to you?”

I shook my head.

Kero gave me a look. “I don’t even know why you’re bothering to lie to me.”

I hesitated and started to think straight. Serpethion can attack Kero whenever... and if I don’t tell Kero, he may not be ready for it. It was now or possibly never.

I looked at Kero. “Serpethion...”

Kero chuckled. “He said something to you?”

I nodded. “But it's about you...”

Kero's eyebrows shot up. “Really?”

I nodded again. “I don’t know if you’re going to believe me... but you have to! I swear I’m not lying!”

Kero smiled. “Tell me what he said.”

I took a deep breath and started to whisper. “Serpethion wants to kill you.”

Kero's eyes widened.

“He was planning it and... and Jacob was there and Cecile too. And I heard everything… and then Serpethion threatened to kill me too, but you came on time.”

Kero frowned. “Aathiray, this isn’t funny.”

“I’m not trying to be funny!” I said.

Kero continued to frown.

“Kero! I’m dead serious! They were talking about how you’re more powerful here then you are in my world and how they need to wait for you to go back to my world before they do anything!”