Chapter 2

Kero Jr. followed me around as I showed him the house. “And this is the door to the basement.” I said, letting him run down the stairs. I ran after him. “You can play here whenever you want!”

      I didn’t feel stupid at all, talking to my new dog. I was so happy, I don’t even know why. I felt all tingly inside just by looking at my new puppy.

      Kero, on the other hand, didn’t seem to like Kero Jr. at all. “Why are you talking to him as if he can respond?” Kero asked me.

      I frowned at him. “Because I want him to love me, and remember my voice.” I looked at Kero Jr. “Come here Kero Jr.!”

      Kero groaned.

      Kero Jr. kept running around.

      Kero then snorted. “The thing doesn’t even listen.”

      “Stop being mean! He’s just a puppy! I have to teach him.” I walked up to Kero Jr. and picked him up. “Now, you’re going to be a good wittle baby doggy and learn a lot, right?”

      Kero Jr. barked and I kissed his nose.

      “Shouldn’t you be studying and teaching yourself stuff first?” Kero asked, looking at Kero Jr. with a look of disgust.

      I sighed. “Stop bursting my bubble!” I said. “And why don’t you pet Kero Jr.? You haven’t even welcomed him!”

      Kero grimaced. “It’s a dog…”

      “So?”

      “It’s… disgusting…”

      “Kero!” I yelled. “I do not like this attitude!” I looked at Kero Jr. “Don’t worry. Kero Senior is just trying to be funny! He didn’t mean that!”

      “Can you please change its name?”

      “No.” I said. “Especially not after you’re rudeness!”

      Kero frowned.

      “Now welcome him to the family!”

      “No. Make me.”

      “Please! Don’t be mean!” I looked at Kero, sadly, blinking a couple times.

      Kero sighed. “Welcome. Dog.”

      I smiled and then realized something. “You don’t like him cause he’s a dog! Cause you’re a cat!”

      “I’m a tiger.”

      I started to laugh. “You scared little cat!” I laughed. “Don’t worry! Kero Jr. won’t hurt you!”

      “I’m not afraid of it!” He argued.

      I nodded. “Okay. I believe you.” I said, sarcastically, as I walked around him and back up the stairs.

      Kero followed. “I’m not!”

      My dad walked towards us. “Aathiray, why don’t you give the dog to Aathavan and go study for that test.”

      Kero nodded vigorously. “That’s what I said.”

      I sighed. “Appa,” I said, which means dad in Tamil, “I’d like it if you did not call him ‘the dog’. Please call him Kero Jr.”

      My dad rolled his eyes. “Just do as I say, young lady.” He then turned to Kero. “Seretha called, she asked me to tell you to get over to her place, she needs help with something.”

      Kero nodded. “I was just about to leave.”

      “Oh.” My dad said as he moved to aside to let Kero pass.

      “Bye Aathy, remember our deal.” He said.

      “Yeah… bye.” I said, as I kissed Kero Jr.

      Kero sighed. “Bye uncle.” Kero said to my dad.

      My dad nodded his head at him.

      As soon as he was gone, my dad looked at me. “What deal?” He asked, suspiciously.

      I sighed. “Appa…”

      My dad crossed his arms.

      “He said that if I pass this test with over an eighty he’ll… buy me a chocolate bar.”

      My father raised an eyebrow.

      “He said he would get a huge one.” I smiled. “You all know that I love chocolate.”

      My dad sighed and turned around, but paused.  “Aathy… just remember, you two… have time. Wait till you enter university before you get serious with guys.” I could tell that he felt awkward talking about this.

      “’Pa!”

      “I’m just saying it for your sake! If you think about love right now then you are going to mess up your studies. You still have time, you need to grow up and learn how to judge people before you start dating them.” He said.

      I sighed. “Yes Appa.”

      He smiled. “Now, give me the dog.”

      “Kero Jr.!”

      My dad rolled his eyes. “Give me Kero Jr.” He didn’t seem to like the idea of holding Kero Jr. but he held his hands out anyways.

      I handed him Kero Jr. and then smiled. “Be nice!”

      “Yes… sure…” He said as he walked out of the room with my cute puppy.

      I turned around and walked up the stairs.

      Okay, fine. Maybe I do get distracted easily and maybe I could screw up my studies if I get too into love… but I didn’t have to worry. I knew that Kero would never let that happen.

      I opened my bedroom door, walked to my desk and sat on my comfy chair. I put my hand on my head and thought of my crazy summer. The crazy summer that involved demons, fighting, Raakshyans, a whole new world and a lot of Kero. As crazy and painful those memories were, I cherished them. If I hadn’t gone through that, I would have never found out that I loved Kero.

      Keroshan Aarvind. A guy who knew me just as well as I did. There was no way that he would let me screw up. I knew that, he knew that… but there was no way I could make my dad understand.

      Sure, he told me to stay away from love nicely but if he found out the truth… if he found out that I was in love with him, I would be in serious trouble. To be honest, I didn’t know why my dad still disliked Kero. I doubt that it was because Kero wasn’t a human since my dad was the one who helped my uncle marry my aunt, who was a Raakshyan, like Kero.

      Parents. I sighed.

      I shook my head. Either I pass and get a date, or I fail and spend a week without Kero. I stared at the papers…

      Time to study.