Chapter 4

As soon as I got home, I called my friends, told them what I had just found out, and then I called Jacob. I had to make sure that he knew that Cecile was a Raakshyan and if he didn’t know then I needed to tell him.

      It took Jacob a while to pick up and when he did, he seemed to be in a rush. “Hey Ray, I’m, um, sort of busy.” He said.

      “We need to talk, Jacob.” I said.

      He sighed. “Ray… is this about Cecile?”

      “No.” I lied.

      “I know you’re lying.”

      “Jacob. I need to talk to you.”

      “Aathy, I’m busy! I can’t talk now.”

      “Meet me at the fountain.” I said.

      “Wait, Ray—”

      I put down the phone before he could argue.  There was no way I could tell this to him on the phone, I mean, I wouldn’t even know if he was listening. It was pretty obvious that he didn’t want to hear it.

      I ran down the stairs and smiled as Kero Jr. came running towards me.

      I grabbed my cell phone, stuffed it into my pocket, put on my shoes and then ran to the door.

      I then walked into the living room, which was where my dad was. “Dad, can I go out?” I asked.

      “Where?” He asked, looking at me.

      I hesitated. “Er… to walk Kero Jr. and get some exercise.” I smiled.

      He hesitated but nodded. “Get back soon.”

      I nodded and then walked to the closet. I pulled out the leash that Aathu bought and attached it to Kero Jr.’s collar. “Are you ready to go on your first walk, Kero Jr.?” I asked him as I pet him.

      He barked a couple times.

      I smiled as I opened the door and let him run out.

      It was a little hard to keep him walking the right way, but I didn’t blame him, I mean, he didn’t know where we were going.

      But when we got to the park, I noticed he got strangely happy. Maybe it was because of all the space, he was running around and going crazy. “Alright, alright!” I said to him as I laughed. “Calm down!”  

      “Ray?!” I heard Jacob call.

      I turned around and smiled, happy that he came. “Hey!”

      “Is that your dog?”

      I nodded.

      “You have a dog?!” He asked.

      “Yup.”

      He hesitated. “You never told me you have a dog.”

      I frowned. “Well, maybe if you spent more time with me and let me talk to you rather than talking to Cecile all the time and ignoring me, then I would have told you.” I said, bluntly.

      He frowned and it suddenly got awkward.

      My heart sank. There has never, ever been a conversation between Jacob and I that was awkward. Not until today.

      “Well, his name is Prince Fluffy Kero Aryan Jr. and he’s a Siberian Samoyed.” I said as I looked down at Kero Jr. who was watching people pass by.