Chapter 23 - [Aathiray]

When I woke up the next morning, I was pleased to know that Kero’s scent was still lingering on me.

      But my smile faded when I remembered that I had school today. I sighed as I got ready but then I felt a sudden joy when I heard Kero downstairs.

      “The hair cut is very nice!” My mom said.

      “Thank you… again.” Kero said. I could hear the embarrassment in his voice.

      “It makes you look like such a little boy!” My mom said. “Very cute!”

      “Thank you… I think?”

      My mother laughed.

      When I came downstairs, my mom greeted me with a smile. “Good morning!”

      “Morning!” I smiled at her and then Kero, his cheeks were still a little pink.

      I sat in front of him. “Did you see Aunty Seretha?”

      He nodded.

      “Well, what did she say?”

      He used his eyes to point out my mother, and I realized it would be a bad idea to mention this in front of my mom.

      “About your haircut, I mean.” I said, making sure I don’t sound suspicious.

      Kero laughed. “She screamed.” He said.

      I laughed too, as did my mom, which proved she was listening.

      “So, what are you going to do today?” I asked him.

      He shrugged and leaned back in his chair. “Maybe hang out with Aunty Seretha… just finish filling her in. She’ll probably get Chirpy and I to do some housework too.”

      I laughed. “Meet me at the fountain after school today, okay? I wanna go see her too.”

      He nodded. “Will do.”

      “And now, young lady, make your way into the van, you’re going to make me late for work.” My dad said, his voice startled me.

      I got up. “See you later.” I said to Kero, who smiled warmly at me. “By ‘ma.” I said, looking at my mom.

      She kissed my cheek. “Have a wonderful day.”

      School was not normal today. The worst part was with Jacob. He looked angry, very angry and his glare was harsh enough to hurt me.

      I was actually starting to hate this. The fact that my best friend was acting like this added to the pain of his hateful glare.

      But thankfully of course, the school day ended as quickly as it had begun.

      I sat patiently on one of the benches across the fountain and waited for Kero. About 10 minutes had passed since I had gotten here and he wasn’t here yet. Of course, I figured the reason was probably because Aunty Seretha was killing him with work.

      I chuckled to myself, imagining Aunty Seretha being strict and giving orders.

      But suddenly, I heard the fountain start to make noise. I looked around, only slightly surprised by the fact that no one could hear it but then, when the fountain began to glow, people turned their heads.

      I looked back at the fountain. Had Kero left to his world? I thought he said he would be at Aunty Seretha’s…

      But as the glowing faded, I froze.