Chapter 11

I fell onto the step, gasping for air. Kero sat next to me. “You should have told me that the stairs keep going and going and going and going…”

      Kero scowled. “I did tell you!” He wiped the sweat off his forehead.

      I wiped the sweat off mine too. “I think I lost twenty pounds.” I said.

      Kero laughed. He then got up. “Common, we have a long way to go.” He then surprised me by transforming. The wind blew me back, almost making me fall down the stairs. When Kero looked at me, I glared at him.

      He grinned. ‘Get on.’

      I sighed and climbed onto his back.

      ‘Hold on.’

      “Yeah.” I said as I knotted my fingers into his fur.

      With that, he lunged forward. After a long time, we were at the top. I got off of Kero and he collapsed. He changed back and rolled onto his back, taking deep breaths.

      I looked over him. “Maybe they should build an elevator.” I grinned.

      He smiled. “Yes… they… should. That… would help… a lot.” He said, between breaths. He then sat up. “You are so lucky… you have… me.”

      I smiled. “Yeah. I am.”

      He seemed a little surprised by my response. “Really?” He asked.

      I nodded. “Of course… why are you so surprised?”

      Kero hesitated but shook his head. He then got up and held his hand out.

      I took it and he pulled me up. We then walked to another wall, Kero put his hand on it and the crescent moon on his forehead started to glow again. The wall started to rise, just as the one at the bottom did. This time, I covered my face so that I wouldn’t choke because of dust.

      But then, I gasped.

      The room was not only huge but the whole wall was covered with beautiful, intricate carvings. I walked in. “Oh my gosh…”

      Kero walked to my side. “Isn’t it amazing?”

      “Who did these? Was it that artist?” I asked.

      Kero nodded his head. “There’s a whole story behind this.”

      “Tell me!”

      Kero took a deep breath. “Well, Raakshya Ravun was the first queen of Raakshya. She was said to be very powerful and frightening but also very kind. She was loved and she loved everyone.

      “The artist, Javet Dryll, was one of the many people who loved her. He gave her gifts, lots and lots of gifts and eventually, people realized that he didn’t just like her, but he was in love with her. People started to worry that he was going to get her love and that was a bad thing because he was a peasant.

      “So what they did was imprison him somewhere. They gave him large chunks of stone so that he could carve things, just for the sake of keeping him quiet. He spent most of his life carving and carving and carving inside a prison. Eventually, the queen found out and came to him, and he told her that he was madly in love with her. But he died soon after he admitted his feelings. She was horrified and thought that all of this was her fault. So, to avenge his death she, obviously, killed the people that imprisoned him and decided to build the tower for him.